• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold engine tick?

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1991 4.0L with about 257k miles. It's running pretty well but it has a tick when I start it cold that gradually goes away as the engine warms up. The original owner (I'm the 2nd) said that he thought it was just a lifter and wasn't too worried about it. What does it sound like to you? Should I service it or is it not a big deal like the original owner thought?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like mine. I wouldn't worry to much. From reading, it seems these engines have upper oiling deficiencies, hence the tick.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
And they make fun of 2.9s for lifters; sounds just like one.

My 2.9 gets it when I'm rough on it. Lucas synthetic oil Stabilizer and synthetic oil help quite a bit.

Vincenthdfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its worn push rods and rocker arms.

My 93 4.0 did the exact same thing, so I took valve covers off and inspected only to find virtually all the rocker arm cups worn down significantly.

Mine only rattled on cold starts, never warm and always stopped as soon as it warmed up.

The intermittent ticking is when the push rod is spinning in the cup and the clearance is changing when it spins.

I was getting ready to order all new push rods and rockers when I found a smokin' deal on another motor, way cheaper than the parts I was gonna buy so I just swapped it out.

edthediscoman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thats interesting, bought a crate motor 4.0 OHV from Ford dealer almost a year ago and put it in. Thought this might go away as it breaks in, but if you let the truck sit for 3-4 days, it ticks quite badly for a minute or two.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals