• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Col. Paul Tibbets, Pilot ect. Enola Gay

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For those who do not know his signifigance, historically or carrer wise look him up. He has passed. This is a contreversial subject, I do not open this thread to argument but to constructive debate and personal thoughts. This is U.S. and World history that effects us all from the past to well into the future. The folks my age (Most) know the facts, I expect the youngers to do their homework and give thoughts accordingly. If you cannot express within the guidlines don't post or a great thread and your part of history will be locked/lossed by our fearless mod. If ya need key words go for Enola Gay/ Bockscar/B-29/Tinnian/ Hiroshima/Nagesaki. Leave it up to you for the rest of thoughts. MELLLLOW.

P.S. Not all rocket men can spayell. :dunno:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My first thought, my VERY first thought was:
"Gee, I wonder if they can find FOUR flying B-29's to do the "Missing man"
formation CORRECTLY at his funeral"

My second thought was: "Failing that I'm SURE that Four B-2 Spirit bombers
from the 509th bombardment group (Tibbets was the first commander of this
unit in 1945) could do the job appropriatly..."

then I heard that General Tibets requested that there be no official funeral
because he was afraid it would only be made a spectacle by protesters.

AD

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My first thought, my VERY first thought was:
"Gee, I wonder if they can find FOUR flying B-29's to do the "Missing man"
formation CORRECTLY at his funeral"

That's pretty funny.....and it would rule if it happened.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
As far as I know, there's only one flying B-29, the CAF's "Fifi". A second one, "Doc", is being restored to flying condition.

General Tibbet's passing passing is mourned by those of us who know the history. That he requested no ceremony says a lot about how good of a man he was. He also flew B-17's in the ETO (Europe) before being tasked with forming the 509th BG. The "Enola Gay" was built at the old Bell Bomber Plant (now Lockheed), which is close to where I live in Georgia.

One of the greatest generations in history is passing away every day now. Any of you who may be so fortunate, take the time to talk to any veteran of World War II. They all lived through some incredible times, and that generation did indeed save the world. May they all rest in peace.

Stangmata

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I honestly didn't know that he was still alive.

Small fact. Did you know his aircraft, the Enola Gay, was named after his mother?

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its not directly related to Tibbets, but I have seen a 2 engine and a 4 engine bomber flying over my house throughout the summer. my guess is one is a B-25 and the other a B-17, and I think they are flying in and out of Willow Run airport in southeast michigan. they had a WWII museum there a couple years ago. i say had because sadly the hanger caught fire a couple summers ago and they lost a lot if not everything they had there.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Not starting a debate, but a hilarious movie quote....."a simple drop that fucker, twice" LOL

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
History is lost daily, when these men (and women) pass. Paul Tibbets was a man whom history has been rather fair with. And should continue so. He stood by and for what he believed in and in his passing, will be missed. Also for his final resting place, it will be unmarked and unpublished, again not to allow a place for protesters. Though, B2s for Paul Tibbets would be immensly appropriate.

As a retired Navy vet, I salute the man.

In fact, I salute all those of "The Greatest Generation".

I've spent time on the Arizona Memorial, and Ground Zero of Nagasaki. Never had the chance to go to Hiroshima. I've walked the ground at Trinity site, and the bomber training areas of Wendover, Ut. And I always wondered of the men before me, those that changed the world, and saved it. Terrible decisions had to be made.

Could I make those decisions?

Could you?

Roger Lister, USN, Retired

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A lot of people were upset when the first attempt to resurrect "Doc" was stopped. Doc Was pulled from a Navy bombing range (China Lake), mostly intact. Sat in what was hoped to become an air museum next to Inyokern Air Port. It was sort of sad to drive past it frequently and see it sitting there waiting for funds to bring it back to life. There were other aircraft parked to keep Doc company, and their fates are not known to me. I know people that worked on Doc before the trucks came and took Doc back to Wichita.

I've watched the dedicated volunteers work on Doc over these last few years. And can't wait to see it fly again. It will be a treat of unimagined value to this country.

My hat is off to those that saved Doc from being a target, and to those that did their best to bring Doc back to life.

As far as I know, there's only one flying B-29, the CAF's "Fifi". A second one, "Doc", is being restored to flying condition.

Last edited:

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't know he passed away, that's really too bad. The assignment he was given definatly changed the course of history as we have come to know it, but then...all of the individuals involved with the Mahatten Project did their part to change history. I would sincerely hope nobody "protest" at his funeral, or anything, because that's just obsurd. He was merely doing his job, it wasn't his decsion to drop the bomb. I think the title "hero" is tossed around too much nowadys, I'm not saying he wasn't a hero, i believe that the ones who didn't make it back are the real hero's....but his service to our country, to us, to all of the soilders that didn't have to storm the mainland of Japan and face certain death, he is a hero to them. Truman might have made the decsion, but he risked his life flying the plane there and back.
I can't imagine what it would be like to go through what he went through, even missions where they just dropped convential ordinace over a target...with all of the flak exploding around you, and enemy fighters. My great Grandpa's brother was a belly gunner on a B-17 in the war. I can't think of the squadron number, but i want to say 400 something, 425th maybe....i donno there were two more widely known ones...but i digress...B-17 crew's where required to fly 25 missions, after which i believe they could either go home, or they were taken off the front lines. It was kind of like the movie "Missisippi Belle", except his crew didn't make it back, they were shot down over France on their 25th mission. My grandpa has some of his personal effects including his bombers jacket, and the flag that was drapped over his coffin. Unbelievable the things that they went through.

Last edited:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This turned out better than I thought. Not just history, but men part of history.

Give us more, its a great read bro's

Last edited:

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
My Grandfather served during WWII. Stationed in Dutch Harbor, I think. Passed away in 2004 at the age of 83. Still miss the ol' cowboy some days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals