• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code 177 - 94 4.0 OHV

STL_Ryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello,

My 94 Supercab has suddenly started getting a check engine light. Pulled the KOEO codes and only had code 177, for bank 2 rich. If I run the truck for a long time and let it get heat soaked, the light will not come on if I restart the ignition and drive. Have any of you seen symptoms like this before? A KOER test did not give any additional problem codes.

My only thought is that there could be a vacuum leak leaning out bank 1, causing additional fueling. Not certain what fueling strategies are used on this federal emissions vehicle. I have run fuel rail pressure tests and get 40 psi key on and it drops closer to 30 when running. Leaving the gauge on over night shows no noticeable drop in pressure, so I am guessing it is not a leaky or stuck injector. Not certain if there are additional tests to rule the injectors out on this. A check with a mechanics stethoscope gives a consistent solenoid noise across all six injectors.

Already have gone over the intake with carb cleaner, in an attempt to find vacuum leaks. Ended up rigging up a boost leak tester and ran a soapy water test on the intake. Turns out the EVAP solenoid was stuck open and I have temporarily capped that off. Also had two vacuum caps with small leaks, which are now replaced. After all of this, I have pulled the battery cables off and have touched them together. Still getting code 177 on shorter drives. The truck has not idled this well in a long time. The EVAP vacuum leak had given the engine a higher idle and slight vibration. Not able to find any further leaks with the boost tester or carb cleaner.

Also, I have been dealing with a squealing noise when accelerating. I have noticed it for a while now, but initially thought it was belt noise. It only happens when in drive and accelerating, stopping immediately if I let off the gas. This makes me think of a vacuum leak again. I went through the intake and tightened the upper and lower manifold bolts and nuts. Replaced the throttle body gasket and IAC gasket. I have seen thin paper gaskets make this kind of reed vibration noise before, so I thought the paper thin throttle body gasket was to blame... Could this be a vacuum leak that only appears under load?

Any ideas?
-------------------------------------

Parts already replaced or serviced

Bank 2 O2 sensor
Spark plugs, wires and coil pack
Air filter
Fuel filter
Cleaned MAF sensor
IAC gasket
Throttle body gasket

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals