• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cheaper way for more keys?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
lets say youve gotton a “new” (used) vehicle, its new enough (as in 2011) to have that damn pats system, and you only got 1 key when you took delivery. youd like a 2nd key (at least) but the only way to do so is by going to your local stealership and paying nearly $150. So heres my thought, what if you could get key blanks cut to turn the ignition, then put the chipped /linked factory key underneath the plastic on the steering coulmn near the ignition lock? I could give a d@mn about pats or the stupid fob with the lock/unlock/panic buttons. Im sure its not the same key blank as used in the 90’s and before, this is for a escape btw. I think its incredibly ridiculous to pay $147 for a extra key, Im not positive this idea would work but I cant be the first to of thought about it. Anyone try this or know if it wouldnt work?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes sticking the one good chipped key next to the transceiver ring works. BUT, when you buy new blank keys to have cut they cannot be chipped. Even if they aren't programmed to the truck they will still interfere with the transceiver. So you have to get old fashion keys cut for it to work.

Another option is to spend 29 dollars for an elm327 adapter, download forscan and you can program all the keys you want without going to the dealer.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
lets say youve gotton a “new” (used) vehicle, its new enough (as in 2011) to have that damn pats system, and you only got 1 key when you took delivery. youd like a 2nd key (at least) but the only way to do so is by going to your local stealership and paying nearly $150. So heres my thought, what if you could get key blanks cut to turn the ignition, then put the chipped /linked factory key underneath the plastic on the steering coulmn near the ignition lock? I could give a d@mn about pats or the stupid fob with the lock/unlock/panic buttons. Im sure its not the same key blank as used in the 90’s and before, this is for a escape btw. I think its incredibly ridiculous to pay $147 for a extra key, Im not positive this idea would work but I cant be the first to of thought about it. Anyone try this or know if it wouldnt work?
My Fit had remote start, AND PATS. The remote start has a module that overrides the PATS system, so that the engine will start.

I had two programmed keys, and one without the chip (my spare key, that was on my house keys). I never tried using the remote start to start the car, putting the non PATS key in the ignition, turning the ignition on, and then driving away. Somehow, though, I don't think it would work. I know that if I didn't turn the key to "on", and stepped on the brake pedal, the system killed the engine, so since I was already in the car, I used my PATS key to start it back up, rather than the remote start. I don't know, though, if the car checks for my PATS key once it's already running, and would shut down if I used it to turn the ignition on and then tried to drive away.

Depending on how the remote start "hands over control" once I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, that might be an option for you (and you can get into a warm car in the winter, and a cool car in the summer.

Personally, though, I'd just pop back into the dealer, and pay the money for the second programmed PATS key. Or, do like I did with the Fit. I only carried one PATS key on me, the second one was my spare key, and stayed at home, in a safe place. You don't really *need* to have two PATS keys, just the one, although I would recommend always having two keys ON YOUR PERSON when you're driving the vehicle. I had two because I bought the car new, and got two with it when I bought it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Not that it’s any help, but...
If you lived near me, I’d program as many keys as you want (I think there’s a max limit of 10.) for free... you supply the keys and have them cut.
A lot of locksmiths also have the ability to program keys. You might want to make a few phone calls.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I got 2 keys from Amazon and had them cut and programed at a local Ace. I think it was $25.00 a key but I'm a regular customer so he gave me a deal. This was for a 2004 FX4 with the fob to unlock doors.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Our local ace charges 75 to program keys. :rolleyes:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
True Value Hardware store program keys as well but I’ve never used their service. As much as chipped keys cost, let alone the new keys with the remote built into one unit, I make it a high priority not to misplace my keys. Did that too many times with the XLT and trying to keep a spare hidden on the vehicle. After the second lost key, I stopped and became OCD about the key going where it needs to go and only where it needs to go.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I never loose my keys but I do bend and break them alot. I have 3 keys for each vehicle I own and uncut blanks laying around for when I inevitably snap one. I think I've had to replace a key on my ranger about 5 times over the past 10 years. :rolleyes:

I've already replaced one on my fiesta and that really hurts because those keys are expensive to get cut. I hate that side cut crap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals