• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cheap Amazon or whatnot Plasma cutter advise

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Google searches are less than helpful, everything is 30 different places to buy them or the random websites that show "The 6 best plasma cutters of 2018" which all are the same, very little forum input other than "avoid XXXX brand, they're uber crap" or whatnot...

Anyway, I have an Oxy/Acetylene torch setup but plasma would be nice, one of these days the explorer will become a wheeler with axles much different than designed... I've made up my mind I want one with a pilot arc which limits me to about 5 of the Chinese models or less (I would love a Hypotherm or similar, but so would everyone else and my budget isn't there for a new one... heck I just saw the original model Hypotherm 40A unit from the mid 80's sell at auction locally for $600).

I'm hoping for something around $300 but am open to a couple hundred more for the right machine... The Lotos LTP5000P has the best specs, great Amazon score but if you do searches they have about a 50% success rate and HORRIBLE warranty support, the "Primeweld" 3 in 1 unit has the best ratings and reviews on the forums I can find but is $500.

I want to get something in the next couple weeks as I would like to get a couple projects off of my list, if anyone has any advise that would be greatly appreciated. Before it's asked, I did a search here and didn't find anything, and honestly since I hadn't seen anything here I didn't realize the china plasma cutters were really out there as much as they are...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
whoops....the one above is an awesome cutter that my buddy has...better then mine....

but i actually have this
one....

http://www.ramsond.com/ct520dy/

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The cheaper one is better?

Bang for buck or what?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I found a smokin deal on my plasma cutter. It was on sale plus CJ Pony Parts had an additional hundred off. I got the Eastwood Versa Cut 60 - rated for 7/8th's and it'll cut 7/8" no doubt. No other plasma on the market at the time (about a year ago) had those specs for the price. I'm extremely pleased with mine.

One thing though. With any cheaper plasma cutter.. Buy more consumables then you think you'll ever need. My Eastwood model also uses Hypotherm consumables if memory serves me, which means you're not stuck waiting for parts to come in from god knows where. You can source them locally if needed, or you can buy online for cheaper and wait for the shipping.

Also, get yourself an air line dryer of some sort. If you don't, your consumable life will go down dramatically. Seriously. I can't stress this enough.

https://www.eastwood.com/versa-cut-60-plasma-cutter.html

GB ")

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
The cheaper one is better?

Bang for buck or what?
its a dedicated cutter....with a better wand and consumable line....also they stock that shit in detroit...

the unit i have stick and tig welds also. but has a super cheesy wand/control setup. my post flow and meter works great though..

for sure you need air dryers. i use a dump tank with two paint filters in my supply.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Thanks for the input.

I haven't heard much about Ramsond other than from you Bobby, and not a whole lot of information online on the googles... Luckily I trust ya :). I did a search and the Cut50DY is $420 at Home Depot so I might give that one a go, Everything on Amazon and ebay is the Cut50DX which doesn't look to have the pilot arc...

There was a 15% off thing on Ebay today but couldn't find anything that gave me warm fuzzy's, only on the Lotos which has extremely mixed reviews... Harbor Freight just sent out an email with a coupon for their plasma cutter for a whopping $10 off, down to $599...

I'll stop by a couple Harbor Freights tomorrow and see if I can find an open box or something then do some thinking

The Eastwood unit is high on the list as well either the 40 or 60 should do what I want.

It's getting narrowed down, thanks for the input!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
that eastwood looks good.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I bought the Ramsond at Home Depot, that way I can try it out and return if necessary, I drive by a HD twice a day so it's not out of my way, don't have to deal with return shipping... I asked the question on HD's website and Ramsond answered today says all their current plasma's are pilot arc and HD is nearly $100 cheaper than anywhere else.

Will report on Friday or Monday when I get it, now to get to Amazon to get a plugin and maybe extension cord...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Don't forget DRY AIR

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, they come with a cheezy filter regulator, was going to stop at HFT and see what they have... at least grab a $6 desiccant filter, maybe the $40 metal canister, and a swivel hose to take out stress on the system...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a smokin deal on my plasma cutter. It was on sale plus CJ Pony Parts had an additional hundred off. I got the Eastwood Versa Cut 60 - rated for 7/8th's and it'll cut 7/8" no doubt. No other plasma on the market at the time (about a year ago) had those specs for the price. I'm extremely pleased with mine.

One thing though. With any cheaper plasma cutter.. Buy more consumables then you think you'll ever need. My Eastwood model also uses Hypotherm consumables if memory serves me, which means you're not stuck waiting for parts to come in from god knows where. You can source them locally if needed, or you can buy online for cheaper and wait for the shipping.
Is stuff pretty universal on them?

It would suck to have to wait for tips or the standoff cup if you get into a project and need them.

We have an Esaab at work and parts are pretty available which is nice when you get in a bind.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Is stuff pretty universal on them?

It would suck to have to wait for tips or the standoff cup if you get into a project and need them.

We have an Esaab at work and parts are pretty available which is nice when you get in a bind.

Mine uses Hypotherm consumables which are available at any local welding supply store.. Of course, they're always cheaper online if you can wait.

I got a ton of consumables from this Ebay seller last time my buddy tried using my plasma with no air dryer. He didn't know any better and kept burning up nozzles and exploding gas cups.

https://www.topratedseller.com/ebay/plasmadynusa

GB :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It uses one of the more common sets of consumables from the looks of it, it comes with I think 10 electrodes and nozzles, but it's pretty cheap for a pile of them on amazon or ebay, I think it's an SG55 or AG60 torch

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I got a plasma earlier this year (Powermax 45xp), indeed it was stressed to me numerous times the extreme importance of having dry air.

One place recommended me a La-Man #520 two-stage filter, which I attached it directly onto the air input port on the back of the unit. So far I've cut (I'm guessing) maybe 30-40 linear feet of material (average thickness 3/16") and other than some soot around the tip, I can't really tell that anything has worn at all (I am still on my first set of consumables). I don't have experience with what wet air will do to things, but from what I was told, it ain't pretty.
So it sounds to me that a good quality (not HFT junk) filter would quickly pay for itself in cost of consumables.

Slight tiny hijack:
Why is the soot that gets on things behind where you're cutting yellow? :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals