• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Bearings Installation

Kuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Has anyone been brave enough to install cam bearings? I am going to try it does not look fun though. I got a great deal $50 for universal cam bearing tool.

Kuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I received the tool the other day and put it to use. I started with bearing #1 I drove it out from the back of engine using the centering cone. I realized I was using the wrong rubber sleeve tore it on the #2 bearing, so I swapped it for correct rubber sleeve. I drove #2 and #3 from back as well. The last bearing I drove it through going from the front and success all bearings are out.
0573AEF2-1F17-437B-A7DE-A54858D41D74.jpeg
C5C4B930-3DD1-4B58-B5B0-EE76E799F066.jpeg

When using the tool I notice you only need to snug it up just enough then super light taps at first to get it up to edge of bearing. Then grip tool underside with one hand up against centering cone and supporting driveshaft. I used a 2lb sledgehammer and a few whacks and bearing removed.

minorthreat999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where did you purchase your tool from? Manufacturer name? Pulling my 2.9 today for the same reason

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals