• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BUY ADVICE 1999 XLT 4x4

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1999 XLT 4x4 off road 83k miles 4.0 supercab. Truck has been sitting under a tree since 2015 but cranked right up with a new battery.
Just checked out this truck, it drives/feels ok.
Transmission is smooth while driving but the only thing I noticed was when I change from D into R it makes a slight sound like it's slamming it in but just a little bit.
Second the case underneath it has slight oil wetness. It's not dripping but just slight wetness. Me thinks the rear main bearing is leaking.
Torque didn't return any CEL but for catalyst and evap system were both incomplete. Perhaps it's because it's been sitting idle since 2015 and still has old gas? Are these major issues at deal breaker level?

I have a STD cab xlt 1998 71k miles and I am comfortable with it. But this being a 4x4 are there issues associated with the 4x4 system? I intend for the truck to be a city truck, usual Lowes, HD, etc runs.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like a worthwhile truck.

The 4x4 system in that year is one of the more problematic ones, but they are fixable. The PVH hubs are not great, but there are manual ones that can replace them, and the transfer case shift motors tend to get stuck, but that can be prevented by shifting it once a month or so.

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...and the transfer case shift motors tend to get stuck, but that can be prevented by shifting it once a month or so.
But if the truck is being driven that is not something to worry about, correct? Or are you talking about engaging the 4x4 once a month or so?
Any quick links you can share on folks working on the 4x4 system issues and the PVH hubs? Sorry am going to see this guy sometime tomorrow.

I tried moving from 4x4HI to LO while the truck was still in D but stopped. Even though the button was on 4x4LO it just stayed on 4x4HI. Later I stopped shifted to park, shifted to 4x4LO but only 4x4HI showed on display. Is this a sign there's an issue with the 4x4 system? or was it a mistake on my part to engage 4x4 with shift in D even though the truck was stopped?

EDIT
Do these issues pop up at certain mileages? If so roughly what about?
The 4x4 system in that year is one of the more problematic ones, but they are fixable.
From what years are known to be un-problematic?

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The transfer case shift motor is inactive unless you command it to shift into 4x4 with the switch on the dash. Doing that once a month or so to exercise it helps to avoid the issues those motors are prone to because the issues are caused by not using the motor.

From what you described about the lack of a 4-lo shift I'm not worried yet because you did it wrong. Trans has to be in neutral, foot on the brake.

The issues with the 4x4 system are more age related than mileage related, mostly old dried out vacuum seals and grease.

This page has all sorts of info about the PVH system under the Locking Hubs category.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What engine is in it?

Jay11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'99 4.0+'98 2.5
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanx. much appreciate the insights.

What's your take on the oil wetness under the tranny case?

It's a 4.0 motor.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
probably a rear main, looks pretty light though. Not sure I'd worry about it right away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals