Well to anyone interested, I found out why I broke 3 head bolts.
I'll just leave this right here. Hint: check spec section. The giveaway is the thread starting depth.
For those who didn't want to look it up, my block is early 1999 but my truck is a '96. Instead of a 2 step process, it is a 5 step process. Coming nowhere close to 70 ft. lbs. How the passenger side worked is beyond me.
Here's an update.
The hole with the insert was out of round. Some idiot couldn't drill a straight hole. (Looking in the mirror). I just kept adding layers of jb weld until I was able to drill and tap for the helicoil. After using the proper torque procedure, it felt strong and smooth. I added some red thread locker when I installed the insert just as insurance. I'll let you all know what happens when I get it running.
Well I'm hoping to drop this in next week. Get to babysit the grandkids this weekend. My wife is getting anxious so I'm skipping some of the details I wanted to do but it will be good enough if it runs well.