• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bout to Start Building a Shop YAY!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I live in outside the city in the county. They told me for my zoning I can only have one dwelling and 3 accessory structures. Me and my grandma are on the same parcel so we or over that. They told me to get 3 acres deeded out so I am on my own. After I do that then I have to demolished one of my carports to qualify for a shop. It's sad I have to go through this. I understand codes like this protect property value and the next owner but I feel if it is being built right and is nice then there should be some leeway.
They won't even pave our main road and raised our trash bill while going to one day a week trash pickup. They tax us for everything.
That is crazy, not many old farmsteads here would pass that.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What a load of carp. Probably so they have 2 properties to tax.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its farm land zoning

There is a concern that farm land will disappear around towns if there are no development rules
So there can be parcel size minimums, like 3 or 5 or 10acres, and number of buildings allowed by parcel size.

If it was about property taxes they would allow small parcels and let developers put in 50 houses, lol, way better that just one or two parcels in same space, for tax collector

I added an 8 bay "pole barn" to the back of my "barn" so it was one building
You could do the same, usually there is not a square footage limit, but every where is different

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here, in town, a new construction detached garage cannot exceed the square footage of the main level of your home. So if you've got one of the many older homes that are ~1000 sq/ft or less, you're really limited... plus you gotta have room on the lot, for the building itself and 5 feet open on the sides of the property and 8 feet on the back. My lot is 1/3 acre so it's not bad but it could get real cramped fast on a smaller spot.

Pretty stupid that the number of structures is limited. Carports and sheds up to a certain size are not even considered structures here.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I have a few contacts making phone calls and working on the situation now. We will see what comes of it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pretty stupid that the number of structures is limited. Carports and sheds up to a certain size are not even considered structures here.
As long as they are not bolted to a slab carports don't count as a structure in town here.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We don't have zoning, a building permit is just a heads up to the selectmen that they should send the tax appraiser around in a couple of months. We do have state regs about septic systems and wells, we also have sub zero winters, hot and humid spells during the summer, black flies, mud season, and high property taxes because NH doesn't have sales or income taxes. I insisted on the studs and trusses being 16 on center but let the concrete guy talk me out of footings under my garage slab, after the first winter the frost moved the low spot in the floor 2 feet from the drain. Frozen ground shouldn't be a problem for you.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Add on to one of the carports or add-in a lean-to on the shop to serve the purpose of the carport. That should solve your "number of structures" problem. Splitting the land to comply with the codes will probably be hard to get around. Of course you could always deed the property back and rejoin the original property after all the permits were pulled and building was done. That would be wrong, but likely not caught by the zoning officials. :p

What part of Mississippi are you in? I'm a licensed surveyor there, but I'm not sure you could afford for me to come from Florida just to split up your Grandma's lot for your shop. :ROFLMAO:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Add on to one of the carports or add-in a lean-to on the shop to serve the purpose of the carport. That should solve your "number of structures" problem. Splitting the land to comply with the codes will probably be hard to get around. Of course you could always deed the property back and rejoin the original property after all the permits were pulled and building was done. That would be wrong, but likely not caught by the zoning officials. :p

What part of Mississippi are you in? I'm a licensed surveyor there, but I'm not sure you could afford for me to come from Florida just to split up your Grandma's lot for your shop. :ROFLMAO:
LOL. I probably could not. I live 15 miles north of Biloxi down here on the coast. I would definitely have to move one of my carports to attach it to the shop because I have a 12x12 shed right in front of it. I am looking around a 700-1000.00 by the time the deed process is done and over with.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Trying to decided if I am just going to build the damn thing to code, take pictures of everything, and just see whats happens when they find it on the google machine. Anyways got 2k worth of mechanic work lined up for the next few weeks to put towards the shop fund.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had to pay a fine of around $200 IIRC when I got my building permit because I had added a 10' section onto the back of my garden shed and it showed up on their satellite view. I'm sure they'll find a way to rape you a little if you don't follow the rules...

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I know they can make you pay for the permits and possibly pull your meter. But I got plan b for that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals