• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best all terrain tires for under 1000.00

Best all terrain tires for the money.

• Total voters

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dick Cepeck Trail Country EXP... Looks like a set right now is $656 after $280 in discounts and free shipping. When I bought mine they even paid the sales tax. Made by Cooper. If you have a 4wp location near you... I suggest stopping by and making your best deal.

Not totally sure about the snow worthiness... but I suspect I will find out soon.

Sadly don’t have one near me. Those tires end up being 850.00 after taxes.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's to bad you don't... I had really good experiences there on the three visits with them. I'm sure that it is location specific though.

The store manager told me flat out he would beat any web based deal that they advertised... They want your dollars going through their brick and mortars.

I have several thousand miles on mine now and am happy with them. The big question for me is snow worthiness. They are M&S rated... though that doesn't mean much.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
In my experience any tire made for offroading... is god awful for use in the snow.
That's the exact opposite of my experiences. I've run nothing but M/T's all year round for 25+years now and always have great luck in snow with them. They can be tricky on glazed over ice, but other than that I'll run nothing else if I have the choice.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
That's the exact opposite of my experiences. I've run nothing but M/T's all year round for 25+years now and always have great luck in snow with them. They can be tricky on glazed over ice, but other than that I'll run nothing else if I have the choice.
It was the falken wildpeaks that just blew up on you, correct? Picking out new tires as well right now.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just curious, have you ever run dedicated snow tires like blizzaks? I switch every year now and the difference between a true snow tire and a mud terrain is like tank tracks vs racing slicks IMHO. My buddy always thought he was hot shit in the snow with his jeep and 35" gnarly MTs, the thing did go like a raped ape plowing through anything but it would slip and slide all over. When I finally convinced him to buy snow tires for it he was amazed how much it handled like driving on dry pavement and not like a drunken sailboat. Same with my ranger and my mkx... though they always just had all terrains. Just my experience.

Of course most rust belt drivers like you and me with decades of experience driving through winter hell could pretty much get by driving any peice of crap tire. Take a mudder from down in Alabama and throw his monster truck in 12 inches of snow with ice under it and he'll be in a ditch in 100 feet.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Just curious, have you ever run dedicated snow tires like blizzaks? I switch every year now and the difference between a true snow tire and a mud terrain is like tank tracks vs racing slicks IMHO. My buddy always thought he was hot shit in the snow with his jeep and 35" gnarly MTs, the thing did go like a raped ape plowing through anything but it would slip and slide all over. When I finally convinced him to buy snow tires for it he was amazed how much it handled like driving on dry pavement and not like a drunken sailboat. Same with my ranger and my mkx... though they always just had all terrains. Just my experience.

Of course most rust belt drivers like you and me with decades of experience driving through winter hell could pretty much get by driving any peice of crap tire. Take a mudder from down in Alabama and throw his monster truck in 12 inches of snow with ice under it and he'll be in a ditch in 100 feet.
Mud tires are designed to dig, clean, dig some more.

Problem is in snow generally you dig away all the snow (which does offer some traction) you hit ice, which offers non.

An A/T tire tends to "pack" the snow and gives better bite as long as you aint spinnin.

Dedicated snow tires are super soft and siped to grab and push, rather then dig.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I drive on the soft beaches of NJ alot too. All terrains work 100× better then Mud terrains because like you said, they are made to dig. All terrains float on the sand. I bet snow tires would make excellent beach tires but they would get destroyed fast. We run like 10psi max on the beach and with how soft snow tires are.... yikes.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
What is this snow stuff everyone speaks of? :icon_confused:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I’ve narrowed it down to the BF Goodrich or the falken wildpeaks.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's to bad you don't... I had really good experiences there on the three visits with them. I'm sure that it is location specific though.

The store manager told me flat out he would beat any web based deal that they advertised... They want your dollars going through their brick and mortars.

I have several thousand miles on mine now and am happy with them. The big question for me is snow worthiness. They are M&S rated... though that doesn't mean much.
So I went ahead and bought the dick cepek tires. Got them for 739. Best deal I could find. So we’ll see how it turns out.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So I went ahead and bought the dick cepek tires. Got them for 739. Best deal I could find. So we’ll see how it turns out.
For sure... I couldn't find a better deal either... by a several hundred dollars. I did buy wheels and tires... 5 of them.

I honestly think you will be happy... mine run down the road and handle really well. I guess we will both see how well they do in the snow.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've had multiple sets of BFG ATs, including the super old "radial all-terrain", KO, and KO2. Love em. I think the KO was a much better tire than the KO2...harder rubber compound or something, the KO2s wear faster for sure but it's not drastic enough to turn me off to them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Best tire I have ever had in snow was the BFG MT's.

They were also narrower and under a heavier truck vs the Firestones on my Ranger.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if your in ice often then i for sure suggest winter tires as well.

i run geolander i/T in winter.

cant get them anymore in 315/16 though. had to scour new old stock for the set i have now... the bi-directional falls msr maybe the next set...but 285 is max on those....so 33 inch or so....
but i would rather have those in 33 on the blizzard strewn hi way then 42 inch iroks...

they suk in the mud compared to my swampers but are bad ass on the road. but i dont mind changing tires for different tasks either.

on edit....my tire guy told me the duratrac and nokia were pretty much the only snow rated tire 35 and up at this time. likely going toput the msr on the shop truck next month and will get at least one season out of my nos geolanders....hopefully two. maybe they will come back.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals