• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2300 running weird! HELP!

Invisity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
Help guys! So heres the low down. My 96 (i think) Mazda b2300 is running weird. It will rev to high rpms when the pedal isnt all the way to the ground but when pushed to the floor it stumbles and backfires amd stays at low rpms. This is what it does.
. when you mat the pedal to the floor it just backfires continously and wont go above a certain rpm.
. when driving down the road and it reaches either a certain rpm or speed (idk because it doesnt have a tach) it bogs down and losses all power just like when you floor it.

The truck has a stored code for p1443 which says: evaporative emission system control valve low/no flow. So i tried correcting that by fallowing all the vaccum hoses in the entire engine bay and all the vacuum hoses that run to the charcoal box and they all looked fine. I then replaced the solenoid or purge valve or whatever you want to call it with a new one from the parts store. But that did not solve my problem. As soon as i bought the truck a few weeks ago it was having this problem. When i first got it i tried doing a full tune up and replacing the pcv valve and those both didnt work. Then i thought maybe the cat is clogged so i cut it out and that still didn't solve my problem. So to summarize what i did already ive:
. checked for vacuum leaks.
. cut out the cat.
. checked the timing.
. replaced plugs and wires.
. replaced pcv valve
. replaced evap purge solenoid.

If any has any info im missing or think they have a possible solution please let me know. The pickup is so bad i dont even drive it! Ps since just now replacing the solenoid ive only driven it 4 miles and its still running extremely bad. Also the check engine light never came on for any of these codes i juat had it read because it was running terrible. Maybe my check engine light bulb is out? Is there a way to test that?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
First off... breath

Next question... What engine is in it. Can we start there?

Invisity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
2.3 4cyl thats why its a b2300 haha

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Oh... that Mazda thing

So ya cut it up...

Replaced some other stuff...

Have ya checked fuel pressure?

Invisity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
That i have not done yet. But why would it rev normally at half throttle but not full?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Improper fuel delivery... if you aren't getting the right fuel pressure... it won't meet the engine demands.

It almost seems you might be dealing with a vacuum leak too.

Edit... What I'm saying is... before you throw any more parts at this thing... do a few simple checks.

Invisity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
already checked for vaccun leaks. Gonna grab a fual pressure tester tonight and get a reading. What should the psi be at at idle and revving etc?

Invisity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2300
Transmission
Manual
update. i dont know if its the fuel pressure or not because when i hook up the fuel pressure tester to the schrader valve at the fuel rail i also have to use an adaptor for this year ford. with that being said i have hooked it up and it says theres no fuel pressure. i think thats a problem with the tester because i took the fuel filter off and had someone turn the ignition on and it shoots a bunch of fuel like a hose. also after changing the fuel filter its a tiny bit better but it still stutters until warm and at full throttle it always breaks up. tia

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'm not sure on the specs for that exact year/model of truck but I would suspect the fuel pressure should be a minimum of 30 to 35psi at idle. My suggestion is to buy a Haynes manual for your truck if you expect to own it for long.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your getting no where unless you get a fuel pressure reading...

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you tried just pressing the needle at the Schrader valve when the fuel pump turns on when you first turn on the key? The gas should easily hit the hood if you have good pressure. The initial symptom does sound like a bad fuel pump though. I see its a 96 so it's plenty old enough. How many miles? No matter how smart computers are they still don't tell you when your fuel pump is bad,,,,, they will tell you about every evap and oxygen sensor though lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals