• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AOD control computer?

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i was reading on jamesduff.com and it says its important to use the control computer with the AOD. Im swapping in an AOD from a 90' bronco for a v8 swap on my b2. Is the computer necessary? What does the computer do?

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
depends on if you have the AOD-E or not...

look on your tranny - does it have a big electrical connector, or just a little one with 4-5 wires?

If it's the little one, it's a regular aod - just make sure to set the TV pressure correctly BEFORE you drive it. if it's the electronic one, you'll need something to tell it when to shift.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The AODE didn't come out til 91 and I wasn't a factory Bronco transmission the 4r70w was the bronco/f-series choice. There is no computer control for an AOD, just the goofy TV linkage.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The AODE didn't come out til 91 and I wasn't a factory Bronco transmission the 4r70w was the bronco/f-series choice. There is no computer control for an AOD, just the goofy TV linkage.

Matt
its the regular AOD, its out of a 90'. The seller gave me a little wiring harness it plugs into the trans with like 5 prongs then the wire splits into 2 plug in connectors. I read that this connector goes to the carb? Should i just get the whole wiring from the original truck or is this connector not needed to operate the trans?

Last edited:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the motor the trans was hooked to was the 302 fuel injected. Im using a carbed 302 so do u all think i will need this electrical connection? I dont see how it would work without a computer.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
heres come pics, one connector plugs into the trans. The other end of it splits into 2 plug in connectors.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Thats an AOD. The AODE will have a connection at the valve body shaft and another on the pass side of the transmission. Those are for neutral safety and reverse lights. You probably won't have the proper connection in your truck for those plugs. If you decide to use those you will have to cut the ends off those plugs and splice them into your Ranger harness. Or if you use an aftermarket shifter most will have spots on the shifter where you place a rocker switch and do your neutral safety and reverse circuits on the shifter rather than in the trans.

Matt

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Thats an AOD. The AODE will have a connection at the valve body shaft and another on the pass side of the transmission. Those are for neutral safety and reverse lights. You probably won't have the proper connection in your truck for those plugs. If you decide to use those you will have to cut the ends off those plugs and splice them into your Ranger harness. Or if you use an aftermarket shifter most will have spots on the shifter where you place a rocker switch and do your neutral safety and reverse circuits on the shifter rather than in the trans.

Matt

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright thanks. I was told that the wires go from the trans to somewhere on the carb? I will be getting a b&m floor shifter with a cable. Will this shifter have the proper connection for my neutral safety switch? Its a broncoII im doing the swap on. Where do u splice in on the stock harness?

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
why need a neutral safety switch? Cant u just always make sure the trans is in Park when starting the truck?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The wires shouldn't be going to the carb. A cable will go to the carb. Depending on which B&M shifter it is will determine if you can do the switches there. I know you can with a ProStick. There is no "connection" for those plug if you wire them at the shifter. You have to get rocker switches and wire them yourself. You have to find the neutral safety circuit in your truck or the clutch interlock and attach it to those switches, same for the reverse lights. If you decide to use that harness, you will find the plugs from the stock transmission, one for reverse and the other for neutral safety, if a stick then the clutch interlock is at the clutch pedal. Most likely the plugs won't plug in so you will have to splice them yourself to make the connection. As with all splices be sure to solder or use a proper butt splice and shrink tubing. As for the neutral safety switch, it is also used in park. Park is really placing the trans in neutral but it applies a pawl to keep the output shaft from moving. That switch needs to be activated for your truck to start. Go out and get a service manual for your bronco, it will have all the wiring diagrams. That way you can see what you need to splice where.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals