• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone work on flatheads?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 1950 F-1 that has been parked for 33 years... just bought it last summer and noticed the starter is dragging. You wouldn't think removing a starter off of a simple old vehicle like this would be a bitch, but I can't get it off!! Is there a trick to this? I removed all the bolts around the starter, and it will move around with my hand, but seems to be stuck to the plate between the engine and transmission. I see the replacement unit online doesn't have the plate stuck to it, so I know it comes off of there somehow. Also, there is a round cover on the other side of the bell housing that looks like it houses the bendix, and I've had no luck getting that off as well. Maybe thats the secret, there may be a C clip in there or something? Any advice is appreciated.

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
It prob just stuck seeing how it has sat for 33 years. I would just pull. :D

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got it figured out and now feel stupid... you have to remove the two bolts that go THROUGH the back of the starter, the ones that hold the whole thing together. I should have noticed on a pic of a new one that it didn't have "ears" to run a bolt through... live and learn. If anyone else wants to know how to do it, just ask!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals