• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone know anything about snowblowers?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
You'll need to get the cover off the bottom of the machine where the pulley and shaft system is. Clean all the rust off the sliding shaft where the rubber drive disc is then apply a very light film of grease, you don't want it flying around under there getting on the drive pulley and drive disc otherwise you'll completely lose the self-propel portion. While you are under there after you get that shaft cleaned up and greased, take a scotch brite pad and some soapy water and clean off the drive pulley (the large silver one that the drive disc makes contact with).

Attached picture with lubrication points and cleaning points. Hope that helps.

Link to video example of lubrication points as well as wheel removal and lubricating axle shafts.
about 3:50 minutes to about 14:00 minutes for reference.

Attachments

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
What I know about snow blowers is: If you live where you need a snow blower (or even a snow shovel) you live too far north.

Ok, it's not so much what I know about snow blowers, it's more how I feel about snow. It's kinda like going to California, it's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

:cool::cool::cool:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What I know about snow blowers is: If you live where you need a snow blower (or even a snow shovel) you live too far north.

Ok, it's not so much what I know about snow blowers, it's more how I feel about snow. It's kinda like going to California, it's a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

:cool::cool::cool:
You don't like watching people play bumper cars in the street? Or freezing your backside off? Or walking through six feet of snow?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
He'd rather deal with the oppressive heat of the deep south instead and hurricanes. To each their own I guess. I wouldn't mind moving a bit further south to take the edge off winter but not so far south to slow bake and melt.

I find with where I am, clearing snow, even with a snow blower can work up a pretty good sweat. It's just easier on your back.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
He'd rather deal with the oppressive heat of the deep south instead and hurricanes. To each their own I guess. I wouldn't mind moving a bit further south to take the edge off winter but not so far south to slow bake and melt.

I find with where I am, clearing snow, even with a snow blower can work up a pretty good sweat. It's just easier on your back.
Probably. No sense of adventure, I'd say. There ain't nuffin' like the sound of a car or truck engine struggling to turn over at -40, and then protesting when you finally coax it to start. Unless, of course, you count not being able to get into the driveway because of the four foot deep snow drift.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, I don't even like the single digit stuff anymore. To the point that I put things in my trucks so they warm up faster, like a block heater. Starting isn't a problem, I just hate the deep cold and my mechanics fingers agree with that sentiment. LOL

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Yep, I'll take the heat and my chances with a hurricane every 10-15 years over so much snow every year that I have to clear it to get out of my driveway. I don't mind a little snow every now and then, but I don't want to have to deal with it and the issues it brings 2 or 3 months out of the year.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
And you might have to put on something more than shorts and flip flops. :p

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
LOL, that too. It was 35° here this morning, supposed to be mid-70's this afternoon. I live in the place that's the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter over any other spot in Florida. Perfect balance. :unsure:

off topic: @Jim Oaks we need a "DOH!" or "headslap" smilie.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Lived in South Fla from 1959 till 1995, and went thry every hurricane during those years. As a cop, had to work during some. After losing home in Andrew, was able to retire in 1996 and within a week we moved to NC and then to Va mountains.
Would take a snow storm and cold weather any time over a hurricane. Hurricane itself is bad, but even worse are the weeks/months after one.
Never again. Va Shenandoah Valley has a nice 4 seasons. Snow and cold temps over a hurricane or the apprehension about getting one is a no brainer.
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You'll need to get the cover off the bottom of the machine where the pulley and shaft system is. Clean all the rust off the sliding shaft where the rubber drive disc is then apply a very light film of grease, you don't want it flying around under there getting on the drive pulley and drive disc otherwise you'll completely lose the self-propel portion. While you are under there after you get that shaft cleaned up and greased, take a scotch brite pad and some soapy water and clean off the drive pulley (the large silver one that the drive disc makes contact with).

Attached picture with lubrication points and cleaning points. Hope that helps.

Link to video example of lubrication points as well as wheel removal and lubricating axle shafts.
about 3:50 minutes to about 14:00 minutes for reference.
Shit.

Wish ida seen that.

I sprayed white grease all over under it now it barely moves.

Im gonna get some brake cleaner and rags and clean everything back up good. It should be fine. It still moves a little bit.

It does shift good now though :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals