• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone handy with chainsaws???

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Possibly too much 2stroke oil in the mix. Try half ounce less per gallon gas.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I know you said the muffler was clean but you're describing exactly what my saw did when the spark arrester screen was carboned up. I couldn't see a problem until I took the muffler apart.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I'd pull the cylinder off and see what's going on. It's not uncommon for the ring to get stuck due to excessive carbon, causing a loss of compression. That can usually be cleaned up easily. If it's scored then you'll have to see how bad it is.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I doubt it's too much oil as I use 50:1. I had the muffler apart and the spark arrestor was removed and cleaned really good with brake cleaner and a wire brush to the point it was like new. Still going to play with the adjustments some more as I've replaced the carb, all gas lines except the on in the tank (looks fine, going to replace anyway just in case) added a chip to bypass the points and condenser, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the muffler/spark arrestor and started with the carb set to owners manual specs and slowly moved them from there. Not wanting to tear it down to the cylinder but I may have to. I really want to use this saw so I'm not putting too much strain on my ms250. The ms250 is perfect for everything 12"-15" and under but once they get 16" and up it takes longer to cut.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
If you want to avoid pulling the jug, then maybe get a set of points and see if it works properly as designed. Those modules may not give the same spark timing.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm betting the crank seals are shot, running lean is often an air leak which can be a crankshaft seal, I got a free Echo weedeater from work that way, the seal was just pushed out somehow, and needed a regulator diaphragm, pushed the seal in and replaced the diaphragm and have put many gallons of fuel through it...

Sounds like you covered most other options, unless one of the sealing surfaces on the jug are bad it sounds like crank seals to me, if not aviation seal or indian head sealant could be your friend...

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Finally borrowed a compression tester. Got 100 psi after a couple pulls. So after reading some forums, these old 031av's should be well above 150 psi. Some were saying 175-195 psi. Mine gave up after 100 so I need to get rings for it for sure. I was trying to see the piston by removing the muffler. I took out the couple screws I saw but it wouldn't budge. Like there's a screw holding it from the back side. I didn't take any covers off besides the cover over the chain nuts. It was late and I wasn't in the mood to eff with it. There's some cheap pistons with rings on ebay but I may just need rings.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wonder if there are any YouTube videos on that specific model that would help you with the tear down? The site doesn't always do, thus the question.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had the other side torn apart when I installed the chip to bypass the points and condenser. I swear I took the muffler off before to see about adding some extra holes but it must have been a different saw.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
compression is hard to go by on a 2 stroke, but 100psi is getting toward the hard to start and lower power side... maybe try putting a few drops of oil on top of the piston before checking it again... sometimes it can be a carboned up ring as well, if it is sticking compressed it isn't going to make compression. On small 2 strokes the top ring is really the only one doing work, some people remove the second rings if they are even there (many are just single ring).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals