• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anybody know anything about homing pigeons?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was walking to the house from my mega-shop and spotted this pigeon by the back door of the house- it wasn't scared of humans and had a green band on one leg and a blue on the other. It walked over to my mega shop, walked around a bit, then crashed out in the corner on the floor. At night I closed him up in the shop because I figure he wasn't going anywhere at night anyway. This morning I let him out (he walked out on his own) and after walking around for about 5 min, he flew off... haven't seen him since. Guess he just needed a place to rest.

A friend I talked to said I was supposed to cut one of those bands off of his legs to see where he was from. Anyone know about homing pigeon protocol?

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
No idea about any protocol, but we have some. The first ones we got we had to keep caged up. But all there offspring are like zeroed into the house. They will fly around during the day and off to who knows where. Then there are always back at the river lot just chillin on the bird cage.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty cool. They say you can take 'em a little ways off and they find their way home- take them farther and farther away and the same deal. Some of them can go quite a ways. Never had one visit before tho...

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is a guy up my way that has some. he drives about 50 miles to the city and lets them go and the birds actually beat him back home. He says that they drop them off farther and farther and see if they make it back home. It's a way of training them.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
i don't know much about them, but one guy I worked with raced them. I guess they meet up at a location usally a couple hundred miles away from home. let the birds go at one time, and I guess they have some kind of timer back at the coupe. the winner is the one that has the quickest time per mile. since not every body live the exact distance away from the starting area. so the gps how many exact miles it is then devide the time by miles.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
They don't fly at night, so if they can't make it home before sundown they have to find somewhere to rest. They will go hundreds perhaps thousands of miles to get home. If you had written down the numbers on the ring you could have traced the owner through one of your local pidgeon fanciers groups, perhaps even the internet.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha, pigeon fanciers.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
...all I know is they taste like chicken...

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Thats kinda of cool of a homing pigeon sleep crashing at your shop.

Had some kind of predetor bird, like a small hawk, fly into my work shop and crashed for the night in the pipes above. Found him the next morning on the floor resting. I just picked him up and set him in the nearest tree. He later flew away when the sun was up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals