• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any machinist on here?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I've been driving my swapped Ranger for a while now and it runs pretty good. Definitely better than any stock Ranger I've drove but I'm running a pretty much stock carbed 302 and I'm looking for more. I planned on building another 302 or maybe 289 over the winter and swapping it in the spring. Here's my problem. I have a really nice set of forged dome pistons I want to use but they're standard bore. I have a standard bore 302 block but my machinist says it's wore .005. He said he could just do a hone job and I could run it but it would be "loose". What does that mean? Does it mean massive blow-by and a motor I'll have to tear down in 10,000 miles and bore anyway? I know the rings will take up some of the slack but how much? I already have the pistons so that would save me at least $400 and if it doesnt have to be bored then that's another $160 saved that could be spent elsewhere.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I've been driving my swapped Ranger for a while now and it runs pretty good. Definitely better than any stock Ranger I've drove but I'm running a pretty much stock carbed 302 and I'm looking for more. I planned on building another 302 or maybe 289 over the winter and swapping it in the spring. Here's my problem. I have a really nice set of forged dome pistons I want to use but they're standard bore. I have a standard bore 302 block but my machinist says it's wore .005. He said he could just do a hone job and I could run it but it would be "loose". What does that mean? Does it mean massive blow-by and a motor I'll have to tear down in 10,000 miles and bore anyway? I know the rings will take up some of the slack but how much? I already have the pistons so that would save me at least $400 and if it doesnt have to be bored then that's another $160 saved that could be spent elsewhere.
IIRC from when I built my dad's 440, you're going to be much better served to start with a fresh block, or sleeve the one you have.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not a machinist but I will throw my thoughts in anyway. Perhaps someone will change my mind.
If it was me I'd run them "loose". But I don't put on a lot of miles with my hi-po stuff and I'm cheap...sometimes too much so. When it needs a rebuild then you know everything else but the bore is probably good and you can get new pistons and a bore job at that time. You're probably right at the outside edge of acceptable tolerances. IIRC my 460 was good up to .007
Did the machinist say anything about blowby or other concerns?

Rusty Bouquet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xl
Transmission
Automatic
At .005 over, the rings will likely seal fine. The main issue is that .005 is enough to allow the piston, specifically the piston skirt, to rub the cylinder wall. It will eat the pistons, and the block. The tolerances, when correct, keep the piston from being able to get diagonal, and sliding against the block.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you were going to race the engine I'd say run it, race engines are generally run "loose". But race engines don't last long. The issue isn't blowby, the rings would still need to be gapped to spec no matter the bore. It's piston movement like rusty said.

If you're using it as a daily driver. Sell those pistons and get .030 overs would be my advice.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would probably hone it... buy some Total Seal or Zero Gap rings and run the snot out of it. But it would be more of a weekend cruiser then a daily driver if it were mine. I think if I wanted a daily driver... it wouldn't get domed pistons in the first place.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
The only thing he mentioned was maybe some piston slap from the bottom of the bore as y'all have stated. That's not an uncommon noise to hear in a 289 or a 260 but I know that was part of the design of a 302 block was longer skirts. If it seals up good at the rings then a little noise doesnt bother me, I'm probably gonna run a solid lift cam anyway. It is a daily driver but in my defense it's only a 3 mile round trip to work and back so even if it only lasted 10,000 miles that could take decades. I picked up the pistons for $50 because they were standard bore. I have a set of '70 Widsor heads I want to use and it works out to 10-10.5:1 with the larger chambers. I have a nice set of 289 heads but they'd end up around 12.5:1 and that is too much for a street motor. I'm super cheap and I hate paying for parts I already have.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I have a nice set of 289 heads but they'd end up around 12.5:1 and that is too much for a street motor.
Can't double up the head gaskets?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Or drill some holes in the pistons to relieve compression...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
12.5 and propane go really well together.
Just saying.

Steakneggs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've been a UAW trained automotive machinist since 2000, and a salvage yard lurker since 1990. There are plenty of good EFI 302s in the yards that still show the original honing cross-hatch in the notes. Those are fine to hone and run without boring.
Can't double up the head gaskets?
The loss of quench would cause more detonation than the compression reduction would relieve. Just get larger-chamber heads, or sell the pistons to pay for some better heads.
Or drill some holes in the pistons to relieve compression...
That's all but guaranteed to result in cracked pistons.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Cracks can reduce compression as well... its win win.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals