• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbags not replaceable????

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The part they're replacing is called an "inflator", before the recall it was the igniter, which is a more accurate name considering it initiates the explosion that inflates the bag. Takata used ammonium nitrate because it was cheap but unfortunately it degrades over time, made worse by heat and humidity, and gets more volatile. The air bag won't go off by itself but if it does pop the explosion is more powerful than it's supposed to be and the airbag throws metal shrapnel at the occupant. The first known fatality was in 2001, a Honda was found in a ditch with minimal damage, deployed bags, and a dead driver with a slash in her neck. The cops assumed someone killed her and staged an accident to cover it up until the autopsy found air bag pieces in her neck. Ford would have initiated a recall then, because law requires it and because your customers won't buy anymore cars if you kill them, Honda waited until NHTSA forced the issue in 2014. If it were my truck and I couldn't get the recall done I'd look into installing a correct year column so it could be done. The Ford customer assistance number is 800-392-3673 but calling them will likely just open a complaint against the dealer which may not endear you to them but it will get it documented.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals