• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding power steering to a 84 2.0L that never had it, can the engine even deal with p/s?

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
hey guys just ordered everything i need and having second thoughts about one thing: it looks like my mechanical fuel pump would be in the way, judging from pics. but uhm, do we all have a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the engine in the same place? mine's on the driver side of the engine next to the distributor. will that interfere with the power steering pump. or is there any relatively easy way I can relocate something so it all fits?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The carb'd 4 cylinders were offered with power steering, so it is definitely possible.

It looks like that bracket has clearance for the fuel pump. The bottom most bolt is the one just to left of the fuel pump.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I've had power steering trucks and currently have a manual steering truck. I really can't tell the difference. Except in a parking lot they pretty much drive the same. Even if power steering doesn't rob much power it still adds weight and you'll have to put up with the classic Ford power steering pump whine all the time.

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
I've had power steering trucks and currently have a manual steering truck. I really can't tell the difference. Except in a parking lot they pretty much drive the same. Even if power steering doesn't rob much power it still adds weight and you'll have to put up with the classic Ford power steering pump whine all the time.
Oh that sucks, they’re noisy? the biggest part for me is I kind of want to learn how to whole thing works, but also I live in the city and often when you’re in a tight parking spot which tends to happen a lot, you get a brutal arm workout steering yourself in and out of there.

I pretty much have everything now except for the belt and pump cap!

I wonder how this whole serpentine belt business is going to work out. I’ve never intervened there..

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The one difference I've noticed is in nearly out of control situations that happen extremely quickly. There's a huge difference in how fast you can regain control in a power steering truck vs a manual steering truck. This is an observation gained from converting my previously manual steering V8 Ranger to power steering..

To add to that. My 5.0 power steering pump never whines. Ever.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I recently did this exact swap to mine but I had the luxury of buying a parts truck that had everything i needed.that Xtra pulley on crank is for a a/c.parts truck had a a/c as well and that's where belt was run too.if I were u I'd look for a complete truck with ps already in it like I did.it took a while to find one but the headaches u avoid by having everything right there is priceless.and I only paid 250 for it.money well spent in my opinion.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
The one difference I've noticed is in nearly out of control situations that happen extremely quickly. There's a huge difference in how fast you can regain control in a power steering truck vs a manual steering truck. This is an observation gained from converting my previously manual steering V8 Ranger to power steering..

To add to that. My 5.0 power steering pump never whines. Ever.
I still use manual on my V8 Ranger. The slow steering box adds to the excitement. lol.

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
It’s hot out in ny, last hot day of the year, it’s now or never, god help me!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
Aight well looks like it’s not happening without a pitman app puller, on my way to the store. Can you still turn the wheels with a ps gearbox in but no working pump? Just in case I don’t entirely complete the mission. My money is on a full and complete victory but... just in case?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
Ok I got the right belt (60in) but I’m missing this stupid pulley. “Belt tensioner pulley”, that’s it no? Also yes the drive belt is placed wrong on the photo, that’s before I realized there was something missing..

7669F476-6DDF-44D3-A093-445518049019.png

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
That's just an idler pulley. Dayco 89003 should work. It's a smooth non-grooved pulley with flanges. Ford used that exact pulley on a number of engines. Ford part number should be E8TZ6B217A

If I recall correctly, that pulley has a bore diameter of 17mm, but it's bolted in place by a smaller bolt which means you need a spacer of some sort. I used a bronze bushing to solve this on my old 2.3

Edit -- looking at your bracket, I believe that stud that the pulley bolts to will fit in the bore of the pulley so you won't need a spacer

Last edited:

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
put in a dorman pulley from autozone and the beast is alive, I have power steering!
it kind of spills at the pulley and the steering was screechy at first but now it seems to have smoothed out, I added more F fluid and it doesn’t seem to be leaking where the hoses connect, just a bit towards the tip of the pulley. Not sure why. There weren’t any gaskets anywhere with the pump and I didn’t use Teflon tape, maybe that’s it? But it’s odd, the hydraulic liquid Is leaking a lot but it doesn’t seem to be coming from the fittings.

Couple things:

-the pulley isn’t fastened yet but belt tension is good, I’ll get some sort of fastener with adequate washer and everhthing should be ok

-I’m also in the midst of finding correct adjustments for the carb because of colder winter temperatures, curb idle prob has to go up a little given the extra load correct?

-the pump is a bit loud. “Whining”? it’s a hi pitched revving sound, a little annoying. What do you guys do about that?

-also I can’t find a place for the little black pipe supposed to support the alternator bracket to bolt onto. Left it out for now. Seems like there’s only a bolting point on the fuel injected models I’ve seen in pictures.

shout out to you guys for all the info and help! There’s still details to iron out but it’s awesome and I never could have done this alone!

C27D8EB4-060C-4AAB-84F8-92C74817424E.jpeg

Leaky pal

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals