• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4ld valve body tips

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all!

I performed a shift kit upgrade on an a4ld of mine this year and I thought I would share a few tips. I used this site for alot of info but I ran into two things that didn't find much info on.

First.
When disassembling my valve body I found several spools that had scoring on the sides from either wear or debris. Let me just say that the PROPER repair for a sticking valve is to replace it or the whole assembly. But I am cheap. I used a polish. The brand is "mothers mag and aluminum polish". I used a small amount of it on each valve and polished them very lightly by hand with a cloth. This worked great for me. The spools were not sticking in the bores as bad. But I was still having issues with a few valves not sliding smoothly. I then decided that I needed to clean the bores. So I bought a gun cleaning kit which comes with various sized brushes that are about just right in size. Place a small amount of the polish on these and clean the bores. You have to make sure to clean the valve body out VERY well. I used a combination of cleaners and a very hot pressure washer to remove the polish from the valve body. It is very important that you get it clean or you are just introducing contamination to the system.

Anyway, I had never seen anyone on this forum say much about valve spool issues so I thought I would add my two cents. My spools slid smooth as silk when I was done. I have to say to clean clean clean. That polish wasn't "easy" to get out. But it saved me several hundred dollars. Also the removal of material can effect the spools performance. So be cautious before deciding to do this. I did and it worked for me but dont do it unless you are extremely confident in yourself to do it right.

Now onto the second tip.

While disassembling the valve body there are a TON of parts that you need to keep track of and I dont like just laying them on a cloth so I found a bacon cooking tray for use in the microwave. I don't know how to upload pictures or I would, but you can buy them cheap. They have ridges that you can align all the valve spools very neatly in. I used this to keep it organized and it worked excelent. Hope this helps someone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals