• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD cold weather problems - at -37F in Alaska

SteveinAlaska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Now that I have your attention - 1992 Ranger XLT with 3.0 V-6 2 wheel drive with automatic and with 103,000 miles.
I have discovered after warming the truck and backing out of my parking space, I go from reverse to drive........I have NO drive! At this point I will rock my truck back and forth to make sure it will move in both directions and I can navigate all day after that. The fluid level is correct and does not smell burnt or obnoxious. Again, my auto mechanic life was 1970-1980 and I did a fair amount of automatic trans work during that time (AMMCO transmission shop). In fact, I could (or used to ) rebuild Buick Dyna- Flow transmissions ( don't tell anybody) .
My first thoughts are to go to my friendly local transmission shop and do the filter and fluid change which should reveal any major issues when they pull the pan and we look at what is laying in the bottom of the pan. My worry is that I am doing this in the winter and at these temperatures. I would rather wait until the weather gets warmer which might not be until April.
Last, technology has changed and I am wondering if there is a specific fix for this problem and should I be asking the technician to be looking for something in the way of electronic controls?
Thanks for helping the old guy out here. BTW how's your weather?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
A4LD, there's the problem, they're extremely temperamental it seems...I haven't had much luck with them in a 93 Ranger and my 88 Bronco 2...Ranger had a rebuild that only lasted 13 months, not impressed. Bronco 2 A4LD was rebuilt by AAMCO about 3 years ago no issues so far, but I still don't trust it.

Valve body issues, or solenoids maybe? I'm not very knowledgeable with these things but I'd check for a bad valve body or solenoid issues possibly first. If the fluid is good which it most likely is its more likely an internal issue somewhere causing the no forward problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals