• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 3.0l into 01 edge

MdntRanger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 95, 98, 99,
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l - 5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Putting a 3.0l out of a 98 coil spring ranger into an 01 edge. The interchange data said it was a direct replacement but its not. Im reusing the intakes, valve covers, engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, and wiring from the 01. Replacing all gaskets except the head gaskets. I would like to also replace the timing chain. Pre-98 calls for a C3061 timing set and 99-08 calls for a C3218 set. Anyone know what the difference is between the 2, what changed?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 and up were a different block than 1995-1998, so I would go with chain and gears for the 1998
No, I don't know what the difference is in timing set but crank was also changed in 1999 so may be crank gear attachment is different
The block did get recess head bolt holes so used longer head bolts in 1999 and up

You also need to swap over the Cam sensor/synchro, 1998 used 3 wire, 1999 and up 2 wire, there is no wiring fix for this, they are different kinds of sensors, 2001 computer needs the 2 wire signal

MdntRanger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 95, 98, 99,
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l - 5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks RonD for the reply and info. I think you may be on to something with the crank, i think the crank gear on the older sets has a step on it and the newer one doesnt. I ordered a 98 set, i also have a 99+ set so i will compare when i get the other one in. I did notice the crank sensors are different as well. 99+ has the coil mounted on top of the valve cover, 98pre has a coil braket that is mounted to the upper intake bolts (coil and spark wires are different as well). The upper to lower intake bolts are smaller on 99+. Exhaust manifolds to pipe has studs in 99+, 98pre had bolts going into the manifolds. The engine mounts and brackets are different between torsion vs coil spring. Oil pressure sensor has different wiring connector. I was thinking about the cam sync but have not checked it yet, thanks for the heads up on it. I have the 98 engine stripped down to a long block to regasket it and swap over everything. I also noticed that the valve springs are conical in 99+, the 98 has regular springs and probably 8mm valve stems. So im thinking the oil pan, timing cover, balancer, crank pulley, water pump, and maybe the flex plate are the same? The 01 has a 5r44e 5speed auto and the 98 has a 4r44e auto so im not sure on the flex plates. Sorry for all the questions, the 3.0l is new to me. All my other rangers have 2.3l or v8 swaps in them. Never owned one with a 3.0 or 4.0, in the last 5 months I have acquired four 3.0l rangers lol.. just now starting to tinker with them. Thanks for your help.

MdntRanger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 95, 98, 99,
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l - 5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
The 98 chain and gears are actually wider vs the 01 chain and gears. Earlier had 11 bars in each link, later only has 9 bars in each link. I took some side by side comparsion photos. I actually just finish up the swap today. Drove it around today for the first time. Took my time did eveything right, only a couple of issues. Had to change the fuel pump out as it went bad sitting up for 3 years (was like this when i bought the truck) and one of the injectors was clogged up. I took it out and i had it cycling on the bench but it wasnt flowing anything through it. I tried to back flush, forward flush, side flush, upside down flush it but no go. I had a good spare injector i replaced it with. I think this is going to be a good runner. Next one is an 04 ranger edge extended cab step side. Bad 3.0l in it as well. I already pulled the heads, they were toast. I purchased a rebuild set of heads with all hardened exhaust seats installed. Now to pull the rest of the short block out and freshen it back up with new rings and bearings.

MdntRanger50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 95, 98, 99,
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l - 5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Comparison between early and later chains n gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals