• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 3.8L in an 84 Ranger

Cookster128

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I'm new here and I am sure this question has probably come up before, but I'm tired of reading....

My 2.8L V6 just exploded in my Ranger (Imagine that!). A friend of mine has a 3.8L from a 1997 Ford Mustang. It would be great if this would hook up relatively easily cause it would save me like three grand. So, what would a project like this include?

And if there is a thread that already answers this, please direct me to it.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think it would take quite some time and money to convert a OBII FI engine into a OBDI Carbed engine. but thats just me. You would be better off with a 4.0L out of an earlier explorer.

Cookster128

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe a stupid question... but why would I have to change it to a carbed engine and switch OBD II to OBD I? Could I not just switch the entire engine and wiring and all?

On the other hand; is there a post somewhere of a 4.0L swap?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe a stupid question... but why would I have to change it to a carbed engine and switch OBD II to OBD I? Could I not just switch the entire engine and wiring and all?

On the other hand; is there a post somewhere of a 4.0L swap?
No I mean the engine is OBDII but the truck and previous engine are OBDI and carbed you don't have to switch it back. But your going to have to swap gas tanks, lines, motor mounts ect...

Yeah there is alot of posts about 4.0L swaps. just use the search buutton on the bar.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you're that attached to the truck drop a 302 in it. Otherwise get a new truck. Much easier than trying to swap a fuel injected engine into a truck that has none of the electronics needed to make it work.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
If you did a 4.0L OHV swap you'd be miles ahead of the 2.8 that you had in there. First gen Explorers are cheap and plentiful. Just swap the entire drivetrain over to the Ranger. If you buy a wrecked but complete Explorer, this swap is practically a bolt in. I remember many years ago when I read about a guy who swapped a 91 Explorer 4.0 and transmission into his 83 Bronco II. At the time, I thought "I'm gonna do that". The 2.8 in my Bronco didn't die though LOL. A 3.8 from a Mustang presents a bunch of issues where the 4.0 is practically a bolt in affair.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals