• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 Ranger SLT 4.0 is OBD2!

rarampone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, Rich here. I had my '95 Ranger XLT 4.0 2WD, with 73K original miles throw a P0340 cam position sensor code, of course right when it was due for DEQ and registration. Went to my local auto parts store to borrow the scanner and reset the check engine lamp. Lamp stayed out long enough to pass the emissions test. Here's the oddball thing, it has OBD2 level emissions controls, which supposedly didn't kick in until 1996. I know this because the only tester the shop had was OBD2 and it fit the plug and found and reset the code. The test tech at DEQ asked what year and I said '95 so he ran the test with the sensor up the tail pipe and did not plug in to the vehicle. I didn't mention that it is OBD2 since I heard rumors that some municipalities can check for a recent reset. Truck runs great and lamp is still out, fingers crossed. I would be interested in hearing everything anyone knows: can a recent CEL reset can be detected, and maybe what I can expect if the code comes back. I have watched all the videos on the cam position sensor on my engine, and it looks like a real pain to change out, if I can even find the right parts. Thanks!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What's the production date?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, your 95 Ranger is OBDII. Yes you are correct that EPA's OBDII REQUIREMENTS didn't go into effect until the 1996 model year. That means EPA said stuff had to be OBDII by 96, doesn't mean they couldn't do it earlier.

Basically what happened is this: Ford had the Ranger/Explorer getting redesigned for 1995. They had the F250 slated for redesign for 1998. They cut a deal with EPA. They would have the Ranger and a few other smaller vehicles on OBDII for 1995, and they were allowed to have the 3/4 and larger trucks on EEC-IV for another year or two. The F-150 got caught in the middle and the 92-96 body had to be OBDII for one year.

Most states and local municipalities don't know this, don't care, or don't want to make things overly complicated, so OBDII Rangers and such from 1995 MY are still subject to non-OBDII emissions testing. It just keeps things standard.

Yes, a recently reset check engine light can be detected. How hard that is to do depends on the codes reset and the type of scanner/reader used. Most Actron scanners, and Snap-On ones using quick code erase will reset everything and wipe all the monitors, so a full drive-cycle must be done before the P1000 clears out. On the other hand I have a few Mac readers that that will only reset the monitor associated with system that set the code. So if I used one of those to wipe an O2 sensor code I'd have to drive it to get the monitor to set. If I used one to erase an evap code the evidence would be gone by morning because the evap monitor runs automatically during an 8-hour cold soak.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Thunderbird 4.6's had OBDII in the 94 model year.

rarampone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, your 95 Ranger is OBDII. Yes you are correct that EPA's OBDII REQUIREMENTS didn't go into effect until the 1996 model year. That means EPA said stuff had to be OBDII by 96, doesn't mean they couldn't do it earlier.

Basically what happened is this: Ford had the Ranger/Explorer getting redesigned for 1995. They had the F250 slated for redesign for 1998. They cut a deal with EPA. They would have the Ranger and a few other smaller vehicles on OBDII for 1995, and they were allowed to have the 3/4 and larger trucks on EEC-IV for another year or two. The F-150 got caught in the middle and the 92-96 body had to be OBDII for one year.

Most states and local municipalities don't know this, don't care, or don't want to make things overly complicated, so OBDII Rangers and such from 1995 MY are still subject to non-OBDII emissions testing. It just keeps things standard.

Yes, a recently reset check engine light can be detected. How hard that is to do depends on the codes reset and the type of scanner/reader used. Most Actron scanners, and Snap-On ones using quick code erase will reset everything and wipe all the monitors, so a full drive-cycle must be done before the P1000 clears out. On the other hand I have a few Mac readers that that will only reset the monitor associated with system that set the code. So if I used one of those to wipe an O2 sensor code I'd have to drive it to get the monitor to set. If I used one to erase an evap code the evidence would be gone by morning because the evap monitor runs automatically during an 8-hour cold soak.
Good to know, I appreciate the info.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If it is just a bad sensor (not always the case, you could have a bad cam synchronizer, wiring, ecm, etc.) they’re easy to change. They’re a little hidden behind the intake, but not bad.

rarampone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
So far the lamp is staying off...guess I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!
Thanks

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals