• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 Prizm noises on turns

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My wife reported an occasional "funny noise" in the Prizm, so I drove it for a bit. I found that, every once in a while, it would get a rhythmic rubbing noise at wheel speed. It's almost certainly coming from the left front wheel, and I could only make it happen while turning left and accelerating at the same time.

My first two thoughts were "brakes" and "CV joint." So I took the front wheels off and did an inspection. The brakes are around 50% all the way around. Balljoints, wheel bearings, and TREs all check out. I couldn't find play in the driveaxles (installed -- I don't have the time to yank the driveline out of this thing). HOWEVER, there seems to be some play in the differential output. I can wiggle the left side axleshaft from side to side, substantially, and the inboard joint moves with it. I don't see any play in the right side axle (but it has a center support bearing bolted to the engine block).

This transaxle is the one transmission I own that I've never had in pieces in the driveway. Is there a bushing I can replace here? Is the play normal? Do I need a side gear? Or is it still possible that the play is normal or I just need a driveaxle? Ripping this transaxle apart doesn't scare me, except for the downtime and availability of parts. It's not THAT common a transaxle, and I know where to find dozens in a Pick'n'Pull (it's down the street from the factory that assembled Prizms). But I'd rather not go there if it's something much simpler. Am I barking up the right tree?

Has anyone dealt with this issue? This is a very high mileage vehicle, about 275K miles now. The driveaxles are not original, but the transmission is.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
buy the woman a new car,she's the mother of your children the apple of your eye.be a hero.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If she goes to grad school next year (a real possibility), adding expenses right now is a baaaad idea.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got ya,good luck.

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
Hey makg, easiest to replace the trasmission. I have seen this on quite a few prisms/corollas that have high mileage. As far as a fix to the transaxle, I dont know much of anything but there would have to be some type of bearing/bushing to support the axle where it rides in the transaxle. What I am trying to say is that yes, this seems to be an issue with these platforms. I had one in the shop once that was so bad that I could not even turn the car to the left without LOUD popping noises and severe vibrations that were syncronized with the noises I was hearing. The only other problems I have EVER seen on these is worn inner tie rods, and excessive negative rear camber resulting from the rear springs wearing over time. Josh
________
FEMALE ADVICE FORUM

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
my brother just picked up a 2000 Jetta with a 5spd, 99,xxx miles for $3500 and i just picked up a 99 Subaru Legacy outback with a 5spd, 101,xxx miles for $3000 (haven't taken delivery yet, needs the c/c and a/c fixed before I pick it up)

you can buy 95 - 2000 Saturns all day long for under $2000...... there are options. at 275,xxx miles that car is near the end of its practical life, I know Toyota claims to be the million mile car but how many of the hundreds of thousands sold actually made it?

did your wife look into a fellowship for grad school? Teffie was offered one at Baylor (sp?) university in houstin depending on graduation. not going to cost anything to send teffie to grad school.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What does the wheel bearing look and feel like? If it is hitting the wheel speed sensor then you have a wheel bearing problem. Is it a clunk when turning?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Bret, nice thought, but this vehicle doesn't have ABS. No, no clunk. It's a rhythmic rubbing noise.

As for the grad school expenses, it shouldn't cost anything; if not a fellowship, it's conventional in the sciences to get assistantships (teaching or research). But giving up the regular salary still translates to significant tightening.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put money on a bad bearing. Take the brake components off and see if the bearing moves with a prybar.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When our '90 Prizm was done with it's CVs at 180,000 it made noises only on turns. That would be my guess. Ours had over 300,000 on it when it finally left the family but I see it in town occasionally and it has been three years I think since my brother sold it to some kid wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt that just got his license, for $50. Surely he would have killed the tranny if it was prone to it. Yours has been driven nice, which it must have been to have lived to 275k, so I think it's the CVs. I don't think it's unusual to not feel play in them. There are enough parts in there to absorb the wiggling of a human arm without moving. A balljoint has only one clearance part in it.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like CV joint to me, probably has a flat spot in the tulip and when in a turn puts extra pressure on the joint.

Red 88 Ranger GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 4 now
Transmission
Manual
If it souds like rocks in a rock tumbler,It's cv a joint. especially if it's on a hard turn

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
He said he was getting a rhythmic rubbing noise when accelerating and also when turning left. Although a CV Joint can't be ruled out as the supposed problem, the rythmic rubbing noise as he calls it tells me a wheel bearing is going bad. I have never heard a CV Joint give a rubbing noise going in a straight line unless it is really worn out. Also knowing how MAKG is with his vehicles I dought he would have let it go that long.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also, there is a cv output shaft bearing on both sides of the transaxle, i am not farmiliar on replacing them on the geo, bu other transaxles i have done ive had to split the case to replace them, on where it meets the transaxle it should be a nice tight feel, if its sloppy like u say its prolly the bearing there

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
still think mike needs to put mrs.makg in something new,like a bmw.she could drive to college in style and mike would be the hero!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals