• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger dome lights not working

Eagle9898

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
94 ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
So my dome lights just stoped working and they won't turn on. When I open the door or use the dimmer knob. Cargo light will come on when I use the dimmer switch.
Also new bulbs and still no luck
Any help is appreciated

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Try spraying the door latch with WD-40. You have to spry the back side that is inside the door. So, you will need to remove the door card for that. The switch for the done light is inside the latch. Also check the fuse for the done light. Though, if the bed light is coming on, you probably have power.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Fuse is good?
Does the key chime still work?
Regular cab or super cab?

A 1994 still has pin switches in the door's front jam; it was '95 they went into the latch handle. Check the pin switch operation, and try spraying with contact cleaner or WD40 through the switch from outside. If you remove it to check the wire connections, pull the fuse then reinstall it after the switch is out (it switches +Positive, so it's easy to short out and pop the fuse when removing or installing). Once it's in your hand and a good fuse is reinstalled, you can check power in and power out of the pin switch.

There's also a diode for the dome light that's in the harness going to the cargo light; if it's blown the light switch won't turn on the dome but the door switches should still work.

Eagle9898

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
94 ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Fuse is good?
Does the key chime still work?
Regular cab or super cab?

A 1994 still has pin switches in the door's front jam; it was '95 they went into the latch handle. Check the pin switch operation, and try spraying with contact cleaner or WD40 through the switch from outside. If you remove it to check the wire connections, pull the fuse then reinstall it after the switch is out (it switches +Positive, so it's easy to short out and pop the fuse when removing or installing). Once it's in your hand and a good fuse is reinstalled, you can check power in and power out of the pin switch.

There's also a diode for the dome light that's in the harness going to the cargo light; if it's blown the light switch won't turn on the dome but the door switches should still work.
Fuse seems to be good but I'll check them again
Key chime works but only sometimes and sounds weak and like its dying
It is a regular cab
I'll spray the switches and see what happens

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Key chime uses the same fuse (fuse 1 in the underdash fusebox) as the dome light, and key chime also runs through the driver door pin switch.

Test at the fuse- hopefully you have a 12 volt test light or a volt meter to troubleshoot with.

Another thing to check: pull the dome light lens and make sure that the mounting screws are tight. I think the light is still chassis grounded in a '94 by one of the mounting screws (power to it being through the door switches and light switch), and it's gotta have ground to work. You can loosen the mounting screws and re-snug them to fix a lost ground, but don't overtighten them.

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals