• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 3.0L lower intake cleaning while on the engine

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
This spring I need to do a set of valve covers so the upper intake will be off and I'm considering cleaning the intake the best I can while it is apart. The upper cleaning because it is not on the engine at this time is easy and safe but the lower is where my major questions arise.

Because the engine has 150K + on it I know the intake has lots of oil build up in it, lower more than upper due to a good cleaning with it on the motor, is it possible and safe to try and clean the lower intake with it installed on the engine. My thoughts are big chunks falling down to the tops of the valves and then into the cylinders after the cleaning?

If it is not safe to do so with it on the motor I will do an intake cleaning on it after words. I am just thinking that because I am already that deep can the lower be cleaned safely.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did my 4.0 recently and I don't think so

I'd recommend a Seafoam intake cleaning about 2 weeks before and again about two day or so(I'm still saving 1/2 can for mine's second blasting)

I'd recommend go ahead and pull the lower plum off while you're there and go all new gaskets.
That would move your cleaning to the bench and away from the engine block

It's a scary thought to think Anything could got by ya when working over those open holes into your engines cylinders ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals