• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 4x4

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just found out the hood won't close properly. The cable is broke and someone remove the piece the bear claw latches onto. Here come hood pins....

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Found the gear ratio is 3.27, that sucks. Also fixed the grill. There isn't an straight panel on the truck, tho it's fairly rust free. So stitches seemed appropriate....

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Very inventive

Although I am partial to bailing wire :)
But it does rust

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got insurance on it today. It drives pretty good. The 3.27 gears aren't too bad in town with the 4.0 torque. And it's great on the freeway; 2200rpm @ 65mph/105kph.
But the rpm's are way too high, they are at 1800-2000 rpm. I'll have to swap the maf and see if that makes a difference, I believe that is the only piece that I didn't bring over from the racetruck. Also found another rad fluid leak, not exactly sure where from as it's too dark to see properly.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Fluid lead was from me forgetting to tighten one rad hose. It was barely hanging on but still had coolant in the rad....phew.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I changed maf's and no difference. I then unhooked the iac and idle came down to 900-1000. So that means that I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I'll have to look another day as I'm changing the timing chain in my 77 f250 460ci work truck. The waterpump gasket sprang a leak awhile ago and it's gotten bad enough that I have to fix it now. That is being a bit of a pain too as I broke a bolt and the timing chain cover didn't want to come off. I got it after swearing it into submission, so it should go back together fairly quick tomorrow morning.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, par for the course, the work truck is still being worked on.

That bolt is missing the head, I cut it off. After removing the timing cover it unscrewed by hand, it was the rust holding it[emoji35]

I did do some home made hood pins. I ground down the ends of two bolts and drilled a 5/32" hole thru the end. Used some scrap to make some mounts. Pics;

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After driving for a few days I decided I better replace the bald rear passenger tire. I picked up a pair of mud and snow tires on rims for a f150. I dismounted them and cleaned up a spare pair of rims. Got them mounted and balanced and threw them on. While swapping tires I noticed one spring was broke.... :( Today I just finished swapping in new springs. I left the main springs hooked up and replaced the broken one and all the rest with the bottom springs from a 97 f150. I ended up getting about 2-3" of lift, which is probably back to stock. Some pics;
Getting ready to cut the pin,

New pin install

The pin size is 7/16" by 7". I cut it down to fit after tightening everything up. Cost was ~$5.50/2

Also found the drivers side slave was leaking fluid. I'll leave that for another day.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I made a round trip to visit my sister in BC back in Dec. I covered that in another thread where I had a problem with a whine when in 4x4 with hubs locked in. There was also darting feeling to the steering when in 4x4 hubs locked. I think I found what was causing the dartiness in the steering. The drivers side rotor was worn where the outer bearing sits. Found this after tracking down a squeak to the inner bearing on the same rotor. IMO; The steering was darting only when in 4x4 because the drive axles would supply power to one wheel or the other depending on torque bias and the drivers wheel would then point in a slightly different direction depending on load. This may also be the whine but I haven't tested it yet. I put in a new rotor and new inner and outer bearings and seal and also changed the needle bearing and seal in the spindle. I'll have to rebuild or swap out the caliper on this side because the dust boot on the piston is ripped. That will have to wait for some money. I thought I was getting slightly caught up but today received a registered letter from my auto insurance company.....so much for trying to catch up. Maybe one day.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Well that sounds about like the boat I'm in too all my rbvs are quickly turning into garbage and I need a full size truck to tow with....never ends does it

sent while bored

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the club boys! Lol.... one step forward and three back. I love my trucks, but it really sucks always being behind on them. I always figured if I could complete one full repair, I could get ahead a little....

Three times now I've swore that I'm going to complete my choptop, fix everything before it goes back on the road. Three times now, that didn't happen, lol. Ran out of time or money and it had to move because something else was no longer moving, lol.

Good luck with getting those problems sorted out though! Hope you do manage to start making progress instead of ending up with more problems

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the well wishes.

For posterity here are pics of the ecu tag;

And some pics of my topper with home made roof racks;

Loaded up;

And a socket and brace for the front for long loads;

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I like that

sent while bored

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think I posted in another thread about my rad fluid dis-appearing. I finally found the problem last week, it was the o-ring [passenger side] between the aluminum fins and the plastic tank of the radiator. After going thru a bunch that I had stockpiled [ install, pressure test, find the same problem ], I finally broke down and pulled the one from my 86 2.9 ranger. The leakage problem is gone now. However the temp gauge still swings from low to 3/4's hot on a slow cycle of about a minute or two. Sometimes when I stop and shut the engine off I'll hear bangs coming from under the hood. Originally I thought this was a symptom of the fluid loss, the system getting over pressured by combustion gasses. I thought this because this engine is out of my race truck and has been overheated [short terms of less than a 2 minutes at a time] numerous times because the water pump impeller came loose from the shaft. But this isn't the case. I was able to get under the hood quick enough to feel the hoses while the banging was happening and found the heater hoses "pulsing" in time with the bangs. I remember RonD explaining that the heater core has some influence on the cooling somehow and my next step is to replace the heater core and see what happens. The temps around here are supposed to get above freezing for the next week or so and hopefully I can change it then.

I forgot to mention I lucked out on kijiji and picked up four rims and decent tires ~9/32's for C$150.00. Finally have matching rims.... You can see them in the pics post 27.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals