• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Explorer Smoking after thermostat change an maf unplugged for 2 hrs?

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
93 Ford Explorer Sport. I replaced the Maf because the old one was bad, it was one from the junkyard, it seemed to work for awhile, then I cleaned it with MAF Cleaner, and it got worse...go figure, ran like it had no "oomph" and popped while accelerating. So just for an evening, I ran with the maf unplugged, and it ran alot better. This morning I went out and changed the thermostat and ran it round the block. I then changed my left front tire, since it was a spare. added some water to the antifreeze and drove round the block again. I look in the mirror and I'm leaving a plume of smoke behind me from the exhaust, no odd noises, no change in performance, just smoke. Smells kind of like antifreeze, but I checked the oil and it doesnt have that "milkshake" look to it, it isnt watered down, and it doesnt smell like anything other than oil....so wtf is making it smoke like crazy? Changed the antifreeze and thermostat doesnt make it smoke does it? Or did running for about 2 hours with the MAF unplugged screw something up? the motor only has 115,000 miles on it...

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What colour is the smoke?

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
well i need a new head gasket.... drain some oil and antifreeze came out first. and i pulled all the plugs, and the left middle spark plug was all gunked up, all the others are clean. so i know what needs done now :( im dreading doing it...

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
I think I might try some head gasket repair stuff, like thermagasket and see if it would work, because I really don't have the time to tear the engine down...I had a friend try the stuff and it worked for him, so i think i'll give it a try

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals