• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'92 XLT Ranger non tach cluster

TJ Johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
" Ne illegitimi carborundum esse"
I have a fairly new to me 1992 XLT; 4.0,2WD, autotrans.
My question is "Does the '92 have the tach leads in the wiring behind the instrument cluster"? I would think they're in all models, but then from my reading through this site that '92's were/are a special one year model.
this site is GREAT!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, tach wire will be pinned in the dash wiring harness, should be pin 6 on A connector in 1992

It will be a Tan/yellow stripe wire

Worst case is you run a new wire from the EDIS-6 module(on rad support) to pin 6, its the same tan/yellow wire on the EDIS-6 module, just splice new wire to it, thats how Ford did the tach wire

EDIS-6 is the spark module for the 4.0l engines, 1990-1994, it can be on the front or back side of the rad support

TJ Johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
" Ne illegitimi carborundum esse"
RonD thank you for the reply.
While I was reading through the posts on several of the sub forums here at TRS, I have noticed your replies answering the many questions.
I'd like to say thank you!

bodyman46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
New member, but did exactly what you are proposing. Took a chance and just stuck the entire cluster in and it worked perfectly. Did that 2 or 3 years ago. Yes, mine is a 92 4.0 auto 2WD

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
do you need a cluster? I have a 92 but it would not work on my 94. I don't know if it's in great shape or not.

bodyman46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Need to explain in more detail about my cluster change. Yes, mine is a 92 4.0 full power and AC. But I am not sure what year cluster I used. Just found one with tach at the local pick and pull and took a chance and put it in. Has been working great for as, I said, 2 or 3 years now. Now the big BUT. the fuel gauge started acting up, so I began checking all the cluster connections. Turns out it was just the gauge, however I found out that the pin location and corresponding wire colors do not match what is shown in the Ford wiring schematic manual. So, maybe you should not just plug it in as I did. Still trying to figure out what the deal is with mine. Have a genuine Ford 94 explorer wiring schematic book also and that wiring is different than the 92 and what mine is. Still trying to figure this thing out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals