• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 high idle

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
hi i have a 1989 ranger xlt 2.9 87,000 miles and i cant seem to get the idle to come down past 1400 rpms. I did i full tune up on it plugs wires and cap and rotor.i cleaned out the throttle body which was very dirty the best i can. I checked for vacuum leaks and could not find any up top. still the same idle at 1400. any suggestions of what i should do next.

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
im looking for were the vacuum line gos were the gold screw is i pluged it. i have no clue were it go's i dont know if that could be the reason for the high idle

Last edited:

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
update unpluged the iac car shut off, then took it off and cleaned it real good no difference still idles around 1400 to 1600 r.p.ms any ideas?

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
if the throttle set screw isn't allowing the throttle to fully shut you can get a fast idle, as also, bad coolant temp sensor, a bad intake temp sensor a bunch of intake leaks from the various hoses around the throttle body.

Could be other things, but the fact that the IAC shuts down the engine, I think the computer senses a need for high idle and is responding as such.

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
i was about about a half gallon low on coolant the screw is all the way backed off for the throttle and i checked for vacuum leaks on the intake gasket with carb cleaner. im hoping it is just a bubble in the cooling system i know it leaks from the water pump just a little. im gonna plate it and drive it a little bit tomorrow to see if that helps. Ill do the water pump when it warms up a little here still well bellow freezing in the motor city.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The screw for the throttle is not for adjusting the idle....it sets the TPS. If you changed it then it will have to be reset. On mine I unplugged the IAC and it would die, I cleaned it a couple times but it was still bad. I do agree it could be the CTS,the computer might think the motor is cold and keeps the idle high. On mine I finally had it put on a diagnostic computer and found several problems, it is not cheap but it saved me time and money replacing more parts that didn't need replacing.

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
i know it was like that win i bought it. i will have to learn how to set it

Sicktight722

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
im looking for were the vacuum line gos were the gold screw is i pluged it. i have no clue were it go's i dont know if that could be the reason for the high idle
On mine. the hose that goes where that screw is goes to a T over need the fan box. Mine was unplugged for a while and I plugged it back and it doesn't run any differently. I also have a high idle. but I think mine might be from the spark plugs being out of specs on the gap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals