• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 bronco II with a blown engine

USMC5811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I just recently was gifted an 89 bronco II XLT 4WD automatic transmission with a blown engine. Everything else is in great shape minus a rust spot or two around the fenders. I’m not a great mechanic by no means but do have some experience. I’m just wondering what my options are. I would love to drop a 4.0 engine in and a manual transmission but am not sure how much I would be biting off. My other thought is to just replace the engine with the same 3.0 just to get it up and running. I plan to have it running by this fall.

I do have a good friend who will be helping me on this who is far more knowledgeable in this arena then me. Anyone got any ideas on what I would be getting myself into with a swap to 4.0 and the cost associated with it? I plan on hitting some junkyards that are local to me this week to see what my options are looking like for a donor vehicle. Thanks for any and all advice for this newbie.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Doing any kind of swap... is biting off several mouthfuls at one time. Repairing what you have will be simpler... by at least a couple mouthfuls.

For inspiration... check out BlackBII's build thread for a 4.0L and deathbypsi's build thread for a 5.0L.

USMC5811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
That’s kinda my thinking right now. A simple engine swap would be the easiest. After that I will see how she does. If It seems to be good vehicle then maybe I will start changing things out. The bronco has been taking very good care of. I am the third owner including my dad. He bought it for $1300 and two weeks later the engine went south. My wife offered to buy it off him however he signed the title over to me and said to use what I would pay him to fix the engine. Depending on the cost of an engine and small parts I’m hoping to not have a lot in this. The original owner did not off road with it. It was his drive to work and grocery vehicle for the past 30 years.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bronco II never came with a 3.0.

On an 89 the 4.0 swap is almost plug and play. You need a 4.0 engine harness out of a 90-92 Ranger, and you are just throwing parts in. If you can find a whole donor truck that would be best. Otherwise the 2.9 is a good engine, and I wouldn't shy away from putting another one in.

USMC5811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I’ll be hitting the junkyards Thursday. I’m working nights tonight and then will be off. I have a job interview Thursday morning and after that I will spend the day looking for a good donor vehicle. Hopefully I’ll have a better paying job that’s mon- fri instead of swinging from night to day shifts anymore plus a nice raise. I can hope!!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Second on a 2.9, but I'm biased. They can be had for cheap, are a breeze to work on, and as long as you either get the 89tm/aftermarket heads, you have nothing to worry about.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another yes vote for the 2.9 with a new set of aftermarket heads.

USMC5811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
After doing some research it looks like I will be going with the 2.9 since I wasn’t to be up and running by hunting season. Thanks for the input. I will be looking at some aftermarket heads.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Aftermarket heads are a smart choice. I've cracked half a dozen heads on two different 2.9 blocks. On a 1989 and a 1990 model..

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

They built the ones I run. Absolutely fantastic work.

Lil Bronco

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
347 ci
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ve got a 2.9 sitting on a pallet, about 1000 miles on a rebuild, attached to an A4LD with about 10,000 on it.....

I’m in East Texas, don’t know how shipping works.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Are you planning on keeping it forever? Or close to forever? If not sell it for parts because unless you can do the engine replacement or rebuild yourself you are looking at $5,000+ to have a shop do the work for you....just had the engine in my 88 Bronco 2 replaced last fall with a rebuilt Promar engine with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I'd go replacement rebuilt engine over a shop doing a rebuild, with a rebuilt from a engine supplier you usually get a somewhat decent warranty which is why I chose to do so, plus you wouldn't save anything and may pay more for the labor involved in doing a rebuild, by the time you pull the engine rebuild it and put it back in it comes out to pretty much the same cost if not more.

As far as a swap in of a different engine you are asking for more trouble if you aren't mechanically knowledgeable. Don't get me wrong the 4L V6 is fine but its not just throw it in and go you gotta do some wiring harness work, replace the computer, and hope its good. The 2.9L V6 is fine go with the stock engine LOL.

I like my Bronco 2 and other than a bit of paint work that needs done, its in pretty good condition considering the previous owner burned up the transmission and engine in it due to lack of maintenance and improper towing behind a motorhome. My Bronco 2 is completely stock and I use it as a daily driver and I have my amateur radio gear in it as well.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Don't forget that when you're buying a remanufactured engine or transmission, a lot of rebuilders will void their warranty on it if you install it yourself. You have to read the fine print on those warranties very well. A lot of them plainly state "must be installed by a professional, licensed automotive mechanic"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget that when you're buying a remanufactured engine or transmission, a lot of rebuilders will void their warranty on it if you install it yourself. You have to read the fine print on those warranties very well. A lot of them plainly state "must be installed by a professional, licensed automotive mechanic"
A lot of those are kind of shady too.

Not uncommon to open up a reman and see different bore diameters. Core was sent in with a scored cylinder so they bore that cylinder, poke an oversize piston in it and ship it.

I used a low mile Gopher rebuilt 302 to make a wine rack for our wedding reception. Pistons looked new (all 8 were .030 over) but the #1 main seized and broke the crank.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nothing wrong with just fixing the 2.9. I'd be real tempted but it does come down to cost... I have scored many complete, running 91-94 Explorers for next to nothing and they are a great 4.0 donor. And with your automatic it's an even easier swap since the vast majority had automatics in them. 89-94 RBVs are like Lego sets, stupid simple to play with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals