• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 B2 2.9l runs well then will not start

silkysix

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am back to trying to find the recurrent no-start problem in my 87 2.9L B2. It will start when cold and run well but will not re-start when hot. OBD codes are 34, 84, 87, 33.
There are two red vacuum lines that plug into the reserve vacuum tank under the air filter box. One of the red lines goes to the intake right behind the throttle body and has a t connector in the middle. On my engine, that t-connector is open. Obviously a leak. What vacuum line should attach to that t-connector?

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
A picture would be helpful, but the only thing on my 2.9 that had a t connector was leading to some sort of canister for the A/C. If I saw a picture of yours, I could verify.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There should be two connections at the tee. The top one goes to the MAP sensor, and the one that comes straight out towards the passenger fender goes to the front vacuum reservoir port.
20180703_165241small.jpg

silkysix

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This picture shows
E38201CC-B1D0-4BF5-9088-A38E11CA1E64 (2).jpeg
the tee connector with a golf tee blocking it off. I have not driven it to see if it changes the no-start-when-hot problem. Sorry about the lack of perspective in this photo! I kept getting a file too large for the server message so I cropped the picture. The angle of the picture is almost straight down on the engine side of the air filter box. At the top of the picture you can see where the double connector plugs into the vacuum reservoir. The other end of this vacuum line goes to the intake manifold.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That probably fed the vacuum port on top of the air cleaner box, for pulling hot air off the exhaust manifold when the engine is cold. You can see the disconnected ports in my pic. I'd just make sure that you have no leaks there, and that should be the line that goes to the intake.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thats different then my 87 2.9....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals