• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 bronco II 2.9lv6 no start

SmokeyBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok thanks I'll do that in the morning and post back with results

SmokeyBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry to be a pain but does anyone happen to know the correct firing order for the 2.9. everywhere I look is telling me something different. TIA

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The way the cylinders are numbered is just as important as the firing order. On the passenger side, front to back is 1, 2, and 3. And 4, 5, and 6 front to back on the drivers side.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
If you removed your distributor, it's possible the rotor is now facing the wrong direction. Easiest way to fix that is to take the spark plug out of cylinder one, and put a dowel rod inside. Turn the engine slowly until the dowel rod is at its highest, that's TDC, and where the rotor is facing is where you start plugging in wires. Of course, then you'll need to adjust timing with a light. That gave me quite a stink when I rebuilt mine... I didn't realize that the rotor could even get misaligned.
That may or may not be your issue, but hopefully it helps!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you removed your distributor, it's possible the rotor is now facing the wrong direction. Easiest way to fix that is to take the spark plug out of cylinder one, and put a dowel rod inside. Turn the engine slowly until the dowel rod is at its highest, that's TDC, and where the rotor is facing is where you start plugging in wires. Of course, then you'll need to adjust timing with a light. That gave me quite a stink when I rebuilt mine... I didn't realize that the rotor could even get misaligned.
That may or may not be your issue, but hopefully it helps!
You gotta make sure the piston is at the top of its travel at the end of the compression stroke. The piston can be at the top of its travel on exhaust or intake as well. Then your timeing would still be off.

I always put my finger over the hole and have someone crank it over slowly till i feel a "pop" then put a ratchet on the crank pulley and turn the engine backwards about 1/2 inch or inch. Then adjust as needed with a light.

Also when setting timeing make sure you unplug the SPOUT connector.

SmokeyBroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok another update timing was 180 out it runs now when I jump the starter solenoid. I went an got a new key switch and when I go to use the key to crank it nothing. I can hear the relays click but nothing at the starter. When I press the clutch in the 4hi and 4lo lights come on and I and now why. I did get a wire harness out of an 88 2.9 auto ranger could that be the reason the ignition switch don't work. Thank you all for all the help so far making a dream come true. I greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals