Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all,

As I work on my BII, I am strongly considering a Duraspark swap for the ignition system on the 2.8. I'm afraid I'm going to run into computer issues as it is running pretty rich now. The only issue I will have to over come is the A4lD TC lockup. I found the GM switch on ebay for $30 (seems a little steep to me but anyhow). So my question is on the brake switch.

My BII has cruise and it works. I know there is a brake switch that will turn off cruise. Can I utilize this for the lock up control as well?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It just runs off the brake light switch and only has power when the pedal is depressed. I think that is the opposite of what you want unless you use a relay or something to get power when pedal is not depressed that goes away when pedal is depressed.

A small connector on the drivers side of the firewall is where the CC gets the brake signal.

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It just runs off the brake light switch and only has power when the pedal is depressed. I think that is the opposite of what you want unless you use a relay or something to get power when pedal is not depressed that goes away when pedal is depressed.

A small connector on the drivers side of the firewall is where the CC gets the brake signal.

thank you for the feedback. I had suspected it might be opposite of what I need.

I'm debating on what to do with this 2150A carb.... decisions, decisions.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The torque converter will still lock up, but at a higher speed, without the TCC control
TC lock was added for better MPG

Off-roaders have been using manual TC lock up since the first electric transmissions came out
You could install a switch to activate TCC and then have it disabled when brake light power was on, then turn it back on when moving again, a pain but doable

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The torque converter will still lock up, but at a higher speed, without the TCC control
TC lock was added for better MPG

Off-roaders have been using manual TC lock up since the first electric transmissions came out
You could install a switch to activate TCC and then have it disabled when brake light power was on, then turn it back on when moving again, a pain but doable
I was hoping to be able to do it like the GM boys did with the vacuum switch. That would still require a brake switch though.

I'm going to try and get the feedback carb and all working properly this weekend, I know for a fact the choke is staying closed. I just don't want to dump a lot of money into the feedback system if the duraspark turns out to be the better investment.

Setting up the choke properly will be a good lesson for me whether its on a feedback carb or not.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size