• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 bronco II duraspark and carb conversion

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I have put off my bronco 2 duraspark and carb conversion for the longest i can, 6 years ago i made a thread and have yet to convert it, the intake leaks oil bad, wire harness is deteriotatred bad, and carb is leaking.....i only use this to plow out community, it has gotten bad enough that i don't trust it to limp it through another winter..............I am having difficulty sourcing the parts, it appears i can get the cap, rotor, wires,cap adapter, coil and ignition box easy at the local parts store and rock auto has the non feedback carb for 240.00............however it doesn't appear anyone has the distributor available?? Does anyone know where i can get a decent priced carb and distributor asap to do this conversion.....i'd rather not have 500.00 in parts to do this, the truck isn't worth that.......any help is appreciated :)

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so rock auto had 1 302691 dizzy in stock...we'll see if it arrives as listed.........any ideas on a carb guys???

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Any old Motorcraft or Autolite 2bbl from the late 70's or older will work... should be able to score one from a junkyard for a reasonable price and rebuild it. Carb kits are cheap. Just Google the number on the carb tag - there were a bunch of different venturi sizes throughout the years. $240 is way too much to spend on a carb, if you're gonna drop that kind of cash, a brand new Holley 2bbl would be the way to go although the factory 2bbls are fantastic, simple carbs.

I think that distributor you found will be fine, I sourced them from Mustang IIs back in the day but those are impossible to find now.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Any old Motorcraft or Autolite 2bbl from the late 70's or older will work... should be able to score one from a junkyard for a reasonable price and rebuild it. Carb kits are cheap. Just Google the number on the carb tag - there were a bunch of different venturi sizes throughout the years. $240 is way too much to spend on a carb, if you're gonna drop that kind of cash, a brand new Holley 2bbl would be the way to go although the factory 2bbls are fantastic, simple carbs.

I think that distributor you found will be fine, I sourced them from Mustang IIs back in the day but those are impossible to find now.
most of the junkyards around here don't have old vehicles and i don't have time to hunt for them.........amazon sells new carbs for around 100 and the reviews are not bad......my question is would the larger venturi size be to much carb for the 2.8??

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
since no one here has an answer to my specific questions......i'll reveal what i found....so the dizzy from rock auto came today and it is correct.....miracle!! now i ordered one of those 2150 carbs on ebay for 75 bucks, found a review where a guy used one for a bronco 2 duraspark/carb conversion and it actually worked well for the price so i took the leap of faith.....we'll see, i hope to start the conversion this weekend and finish it up thanksgiving day weekend, depending on how many snags i run into while doing it........update to come!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1.08 Venturi is what you want. The 1.21 is too much and throttle response will suffer.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1.08 Venturi is what you want. The 1.21 is too much and throttle response will suffer.
I didn't get the 1.21 venturi carb.......the ebay ones are 1.14........about the best you can do, finding a 1.08 is near impossible with the time frame i have to get this done.......1.14 won't kill throttle much, if it suffers i'll jet it back, but remember, this is a plow only truck and doesn't venture out of my community and 90 percent of the time it is in low range for plowing.....trust me, anything is better then what i have now, it has weak to sometimes no spark on bank 2 and fowls the plugs out on bank 2 and the carb leaks and ignition cuts out and thus making the truck backfire and blow 2 mufflers up so far.......so what i'm about to do will drastically improve how it runs.......i'll post up the results when it's done hopefully in about 2 weeks :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried the 1.21 and the rev hang was painful. It will be interesting to see how a 1.14 behaves.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
we'll see, how it goes.....i hope to start on it this weekend.......it's only used for plowing anyway :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think for reliability, the duraspark distributor with an HEI module is a better setup, and cheaper as far as the modules

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sorry I didn't respond, this new-ish forum software makes it a little harder to see which threads have new posts.

I second what '85 said, smaller venturis will be helpful... keeping in mind that they used those 2bbl carbs on a very wide variety of engines including the big Lincoln and Merc 429s, 400s, and others so they needed a lot more air and fuel moving through them.

I think the 2100/2150 were some of the best carbs ever made. A couple buddies of mine actually teamed up and built an adapter plate to run one on a Toyota 20r 4 cylinder with excellent results. They were very common on V8 Jeeps as well - AMC used a hodgepodge of everyone else's parts near the end of their demise/merge with Crapsler.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Jeep used the 2150 on a 360, but those were the bigger venturiis.

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I didn't respond, this new-ish forum software makes it a little harder to see which threads have new posts.

I second what '85 said, smaller venturis will be helpful... keeping in mind that they used those 2bbl carbs on a very wide variety of engines including the big Lincoln and Merc 429s, 400s, and others so they needed a lot more air and fuel moving through them.

I think the 2100/2150 were some of the best carbs ever made. A couple buddies of mine actually teamed up and built an adapter plate to run one on a Toyota 20r 4 cylinder with excellent results. They were very common on V8 Jeeps as well - AMC used a hodgepodge of everyone else's parts near the end of their demise/merge with Crapsler.
given the time frame i have to do this i got a 2100/2150 off ebay, new china made..lol with 1.14 venturis, tore eveything off yesterday and intake off to reseal.......waiting on gaskets now to arrive. so hopefully by next weekend i'll have it running if gaskets show up......amazing how no one stocks stuff like this anymore.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Folks I just happen to have a Motorcraft 2150. It’s a 1977 carburetor with 1.08 venturis. It appears to be in very good shape. I also have a new rebuild kit I ordered for it. I’m down the Offy 4bbl rabbit hole, so I won’t need it. Make a reasonable offer and it can be yours!!

mjr46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Folks I just happen to have a Motorcraft 2150. It’s a 1977 carburetor with 1.08 venturis. It appears to be in very good shape. I also have a new rebuild kit I ordered for it. I’m down the Offy 4bbl rabbit hole, so I won’t need it. Make a reasonable offer and it can be yours!!
nice....we'll see how my ebay china deal works......hopefully well or i may be in the market in a week or so...lol stay tuned :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals