• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC Oil Leak

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I think I have found the culprit of my oil leak, but I need some help identifying the part and a gasket/washer part number for it.

There is a good size bolt going into the head above the passenger rear spark plug. I think this is the source of the leak. I assume this is something for the cam chains.

Is there a gasket or copper washer that goes on this bolt?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That is the rear timing chain tensioner. I replaced both the front and rear tensioners a couple years ago. One had seal and the other one didn't. I think it was the rear one that had the seal. I don't remember if it was copper or not. I think it was not though. Unless the seal is broken, you can probably just use a good sealant on the seal after taking it apart and cleaning it good, to stop the oil leak. Make sure to torque it to spec when reinstalling.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That is the rear timing chain tensioner. I replaced both the front and rear tensioners a couple years ago. One had seal and the other one didn't. I think it was the rear one that had the seal. I don't remember if it was copper or not. I think it was not though. Unless the seal is broken, you can probably just use a good sealant on the seal after taking it apart and cleaning it good, to stop the oil leak. Make sure to torque it to spec when reinstalling.
I ordered a new tensioner from Ford today. Hopefully it comes with the seal. If not, I will put a little bit of RTV on it and hope it doesn't clog the oil port up.

Revtach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Did RTV stop the leak?

I am doing this job now and lower tensioner is leaking. There was no washer supplied when I bought the tensioner from ford so I thought it didn't need one. I just ordered it (part number XU2Z-6M252-AA) and will let you all know if it stops the leak.

Revtach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update: ordering that washer did stop the leak. Ford should include these washers when you buy the tensioners but they don't. So make sure you order them separately or else you are going to have leaking issues.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ford V6~4.0L~SOHC
RightRear+LeftFront OilPressurized TimngTensioners+Gaskets\Seals\Washers
PartNumbers noted in pics below. Without Washer oil will leak like a stuck pig.
If leak persists even with a Washer, try SpiralWrapping the Washer with TeflonTape.
Details of my adventure replacing these at

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I recently replaced my tensioners because I was doing a complete timing chain rebuild. I ordered new washers and did not get them because they were on national backorder. I reused my front washer and used a silicone sealer on the back one again. The silicone worked the first time and also the second time. I was very careful to not put too much on the sealing area because an oil port is near that surface and did not want to get any silicone in that oil port.

I don't think my rear tensioner came from the factory with a washer. The front one did and is still in use there.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seems washers are sometimes included, sometimes not.
Some part houses are more thoughtful\courteous than others.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
This may be true but I doubt you can find an OEM hydraulic tensioner with the washer unless it is a very generous parts house.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals