• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC Compatability

Cnodes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm brand new to the ranger station and new to rangers. I admit, I'm not a great mechanic, but have built a few 302's and a 351W many years ago. I bought my son a 2003 ranger edge, 4.0, 4x4 with a blown motor. I found a 4.0 from a 2004 ranger and the salvage yard said it was compatible, but I would need to swap the timing chain cover and the intake. There are a few more "gizmo's" on the 04 motor that I'm not familiar with. The drivers side exhaust manifold has a tube that leads to some sort of an emission looking part that also bolts to the left side of the upper intake. The 03 engine has this port basically blocked off. Does anyone know:
1. Do I need to swap the timing cover?
2. Do I need to swap the intake?
3. And what is that emission looking part mounted on the top of the motor just to the left towards the front of the upper intake?

I realize a pic is worth a thousand words, but I don't have any...sure do miss the old 302's! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Clay

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
1) No.
2) Not really, but not no.
3) Its an EGR valve. The tube then, logically, is the EGR tube.

You can get away without swapping the intake if you really want to, by just moving the EGR block plate. However, if you get a junk yard engine I would still pull the intake to replace the gaskets. Also, if you get an engine lift plate and bolt it to the heads where the intake goes picking that engine up becomes about 100% easier. I know those bolts look small for engine lifting but I spent all summer moving that exact engine around my garage on a lift plate with only 3 bolts in it.

Cnodes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 Compatibility

Ok, if I take the EGR intake block off of my 03 motor and put it on the 04 motor, then I would also have to change the exhaust manifold? What do I do with the vacuum lines and wire plugs that go to the EGR valve? I really appreciate your advice.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, you wouldn't need to change the exhaust manifold. You could just take the adapter out and put the plug from the 03 engine in.

Wiring and vacuum lines shouldn't be an issue. You should be using the wiring harness and vacuum tree from your original engine where those items are not present.

Cnodes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got it thanks for your help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals