• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

306 V8 Ranger, valve train noise identified

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Found the Problem that was causing a little valve train noise. Wait until you see this! Turned out to be a little bit of excessive cam wear. Apparently the cam is the week link in this build. The metal properties of the Comp Cam limits the maximum mileage to about 150,000 miles with .512 lift, Trick Flow Springs, and 1.6 rockers. This one was pulled at 210,000 miles and started making noise at 183,000 miles.

Up until this cam was removed the truck still ran very well. It would idle fine, run strong and smooth with no missing. The one and only sign was rocker noise above 3000 rpms. I knew something was going on and over several months that it took to identify the issue I was careful to look for any metal in the oil. I placed a magnet on the oil pan near the drain plug and another one on the oil filter. When I changed oil I would bend a Q-Tip and swab the inside of the oil pan above the magnet and found no metal there. I would also cut open the oil filters and inspect the inside and found no metal there. I would strain the used oil and only found a very small amount of metal debris in the strainer, no more then what you would expect with a few new components like valve springs, lifters, etc. It looks like the filter was probably catching and pretty much holding everything that was running through the system.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Although cylinder 8 showed the most wear you can see other lobes are starting to break through on the ramps and peaks of the lobes. I started getting a little noise around 183,000 miles. It was all down hill from there.

All of the other components looked fine when removed with the exception of one lifter. With cam wear like this it is understandable why one lifter removed from cylinder 8 showed an unusual wear pattern, slight pitting and one small flat spot. The Ford Racing double roller timing chain looked almost new after 210,000 miles with only very minor slack. It would have gone another 100,000 miles without concern. The Trick Flow Valve Springs looked almost new when they were removed around 195,000 miles. They still had good seat pressure and no signs of visible wear. The valve stems and valve guides were fine and still had plenty of life left. No side to side movement and most valves would stay closed and support their own weight when the springs were removed. The Stock Steel Stamped Rockers have 312,000 miles and are in very good condition with only minor wear patterns. The Crane push rods were in perfect condition with no signs of wear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None

Attachments

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Dropped it off at my son's shop Friday night so it would be cool Saturday morning.

It went under the knife at 6:00am Saturday and went back to work at 7:00am Monday morning. New cam, new timing chain, new lifters, new cam synchro, new water pump, new ac compressor, etc. It runs much better. Here are a few action photos.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None

Attachments

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
'

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is that considered a high lift cam? 150,000 (240,000KM) miles doesn't seem to bad to me.
It looks like you removed the front grill and rad support? Sooo much better access.

edit; ahh, just grill. pics 6 and 7 were the same previously.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Is that considered a high lift cam? 150,000 (240,000KM) miles doesn't seem to bad to me.
It looks like you removed the front grill and rad support? Sooo much better access.

edit; ahh, just grill. pics 6 and 7 were the same previously.
.512 lift isn't really anything exotic. I wish it would have lasted a little longer, maybe 250,000 miles. Although I replaced it with the exact same cam this time I think I will be going to a better core metal next time. I will do some research and see what might be available.

My son pulled the entire front including the radiator and AC condenser. We had cut the center section out of the core support and fabricated a removable replacement piece several weeks prior to the cam swap. It worked well and made the job pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you got 150k out of the last cam I assume you're using oil with zinc or an oil additive?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
If you got 150k out of the last cam I assume you're using oil with zinc or an oil additive?
Castrol 10w-30 conventional every 5000 miles with a new FL-1A Motorcraft Filter.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I couldn't find it, are these roller lifters? The wear pattern on the cam looks like it. If so then a longer cam life is what I would expect too, tho I don't have any experience in the subject.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I couldn't find it, are these roller lifters? The wear pattern on the cam looks like it. If so then a longer cam life is what I would expect too, tho I don't have any experience in the subject.
Yes, Ford Racing Roller Lifters.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Damn bro! Glad you caught that before something really bad happened!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals