• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap in a 4x4 ranger

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
if i was to put a 302 in my 83 ranger 4x4, would i have to get a new transmission? i have a 5 speed tranny. also would the drive shaft have to be changed and would i need a new transfer case? would it be easiest to just get a whole tranny and motor from a 4wd f150? would i have to get better axles?

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
im doing a very simmalr swap right now im putting a 302 in my 4x4 88 ranger and what i decided to do was get a 5speed from an f250 cause it had a hydrolic clutch so it hooks right up and i also got a np transfer case from a bronco and since the f250 was a 4x4 the transfercase is compatible what ive heard and seen is the the borg warner transfer cases are larger than the np transfercases so i would go with one of those if possible and for the engine you can use any 302 of your choice but if you wanted to you could purchase an entire pacage deal from an f150 but it might be cheaper in the long run to try and find cheap parts unless you buy a parts truck

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most likely you would have to make adjustments to your driveshafts. As far as your axles go no you dont really NEED to but you might want to later on, depending on how you plan on driving your ranger. hope this helps.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you search you will find an adapter but you will be wasting your money. A stock Ranger trans isn't going to hold the torque of a V8. An F-150 trans will be the easiest swap. You can choose from the 4 speed t18/19 or the NP435. The 5 speeds will be the M5OD-R2 or the ZF. I can assume acidh3r3t1c has the M5, otherwise he would have mentioned the massive hole he had to cut to fit a ZF. The large BW t-cases don't fit well into a Ranger. The NP205 or the NP 208 are much better fits. You will need new driveshafts. You don't "need" new axles but with the extra torque and if you add bigger tires it would be a suggestion. The 8.8 rear axle from a Ranger would be a direct swap, but little bit stronger 31 spline Explorer 8.8 will need the mounts relocated. For the front the easiest is to replace the Dana 28 with a Ranger Dana 35. Do the front before you make driveshafts, with a Dana 35 the shaft will have to be about an inch shorter compaired to a D28. Other than that it is bolt in.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals