• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Spark Plug Gap

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why would he need a new coil and a hot air intake?
Maybe it is a hot air, maybe it isn't. I have tubes on all my vehicles, that mount under the bumper and route air from outside the engine compartment up into the area the filter occupies. My Ranger, Lightning and Mustang all have them. When it's cold outside, as it is now, the intakes on all three are cold. The steel tube gets a little warm, but not egg frying hot. And yes, when it's summer, there's nothing you can do with any intake to keep the air cold.

Coils? You do know there was a recall on the 3.0 coils many years ago. Mine never got done, still has the coils that should've been recalled. I always choose to go with something better than stock if replacing something. Coils included. I was fighting a P0300 random misfire code on my 4.0 Stang. Replaced the coils with the Accel Supercoils, wires with JBA Power Wires and new factory plugs. It appears to have worked.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Suggestions on stores that might have some of these spark plugs on the shelf? Autozone never has motorcraft, just am ordering option in store.
With the exception of my Lightning, which I run NGK plugs, I buy plugs for my Ranger and Mustang from my local FORD dealer. They always have them, properly gapped. My dealer is 3.5 miles away. Maybe you don't have one close to you?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Ford parts department, and ask if they have "tune up specials", which they run twice a year(spring and fall specials), and if you ask they will sometimes give you that price

And if you want, get on their email list, I have gotten factory batteries, coolant, plugs, wires, ect..................for less than discount brands when on sale

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Maybe it is a hot air, maybe it isn't. I have tubes on all my vehicles, that mount under the bumper and route air from outside the engine compartment up into the area the filter occupies. My Ranger, Lightning and Mustang all have them. When it's cold outside, as it is now, the intakes on all three are cold. The steel tube gets a little warm, but not egg frying hot. And yes, when it's summer, there's nothing you can do with any intake to keep the air cold.

Coils? You do know there was a recall on the 3.0 coils many years ago. Mine never got done, still has the coils that should've been recalled. I always choose to go with something better than stock if replacing something. Coils included. I was fighting a P0300 random misfire code on my 4.0 Stang. Replaced the coils with the Accel Supercoils, wires with JBA Power Wires and new factory plugs. It appears to have worked.
The stock air box has only one inlet and must pull air from outside of the engine compartment. An intake that pulls air from inside the engine compartment will always be pulling warmer air, no matter how well you position it.

Defects aside, if the coil is lighting off the mixture properly there is nothing to be gained by "upgrading" it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The stock air box has only one inlet and must pull air from outside of the engine compartment. An intake that pulls air from inside the engine compartment will always be pulling warmer air, no matter how well you position it.

Defects aside, if the coil is lighting off the mixture properly there is nothing to be gained by "upgrading" it.
And aside from all that. after I put the MAC intake on mine in 2002, some years later I tried to reinstall the factory intake. The performance was so poor compared to what I'm used to, that I removed the entire thing and trashed it so I would never make that mistake again. The stock intake has a severely pinched down tube between the MAF and the TB. The one I have maintains the same diameter all the way through. It changes the powerband very noticeably. Yeah, it moves it upwards, makes the engine love to rev. I like it that way. When I put the stock intake back on, the truck felt choked. It's long gone and I can never make that mistake again. So evidently the hot air doesn't matter. Aside from the fact the stock intake manifold is heated, and I disconnected that shit years ago.

I never said there was anything to gain. I said I was chasing a code and taking steps to fix it. And whether there is anything to gain or not, I always go with upgrade parts. ALWAYS. You must've missed the part where I said my coils were supposed to be recalled. Don't know what the issue was. So, since I needed to replace them, why not use the best? Accel. Money isn't an issue with me. I spend it like a drunken sailor. LOL!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals