• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Performance Build

1993Ranger4x4

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Slow
Transmission
Manual
Alright, the engine in my truck right now has some serious issues. IT only has 117k miles and is burning a quart of oil every 100 miles, and whenever i check the oil its usually foamy and the last few times theres been a lot of water in it.

So rebuild time.

Got a good running engine to throw in for 75 bucks, but it seems to be a little tired too.

So, I have the old engine out, I want to build it up to get some more performance out of it. I dont have the 2500 bucks for the stroker kit, but I want to build it as "bad" as possible. What would give me the best performance? What pistons? What camshaft? Roller rockers? Deck the head? Let me know!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont have the 2500 bucks for the stroker kit,
but I want to build it as "bad" as possible. What would give me the best performance? What pistons? What camshaft? Roller rockers? Deck the head? Let me know!
Does not compute. Get a $75 V8 instead.

1993Ranger4x4

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Slow
Transmission
Manual
Does not compute. Get a $75 V8 instead.
Does not compute. Not many 75 dollar V8's. Than a new tranny. I know thisengine will not make much power. i just want to maximize its potential.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
use flex fuel pistons, roads v-max lifters, find a stock '00-'01 rifle drilled cam, use a stock '00-'01 upper and lower intake manifold, and if you have the extra money up grade the ignition to the '96-'97 DIS. JBA exhaust headers, then the little shit to put on, like a programmer, under pullys, e-fan.

or use a FF block with your heads.

Last edited:

1993Ranger4x4

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Slow
Transmission
Manual
What about cam and roller rockers? Should I get a bigger throttle body?

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I've done a lot of work to the 3.0L in the past... I'm telling you from an honest opinion that its a waste of money. The 3.0L already needs to rev to build any power, adding an even hotter cam will make for poor truck performance. Besides, the valve springs will not support much over 5500rpm (valves will float and the springs will be toast before 6K). Just make sure it has solid compression numbers and swap it in. Save up for a motor swap if you're looking for any "real" gain. You can bolt on an intake and pretend it makes a ton more power... but even swapping out to a ported 98+ intake manifold, BBK 56mm throttle body, intake, crane 1.7 roller rockers, JBA headers and exhaust, underdrive pulley, electric fan, and ported cylinder heads with performance valve job and advancing the ignition will still fall WAY short of a 4.0L SOHC V6. (I traded a 3.0L powered ranger with all these mods in favor of a 4.0L).

1993Ranger4x4

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Slow
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. Thats what I've been hearing. I guess since I plan to own this ranger for a while, I have plenty of time to transplant a bigger engine in.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could always port and polish the heads and intakes yourself. It wouldn't cost much if anything, depending on the tools you have access to, and would give you a decent gain. Making the engine breathe better can make a big difference in overall performance. Not talking 25hp or anything, but it would be noticeable.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but reading everything I decided that it is a better idea to drive it until it dies, and then swap in a V8.

haze3o

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
i guess im the sucker out of the group i love my 3.o no doubt its a rever to make any sort of power but looking to upgrade/ port the intake and swap rockers 1.7's from crane? the ones for the 3.8 right?

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
If you really wanted to do any major performance mods, get a stroker kit from Tom Morana, that opens the door to a lot of things.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you are operating in a class that requires the use of the factory 3.0L V6 (originality, size, ect...) its basically a waste of a lot of money for the end result. A front wheel drive 3.8L V6 shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 3.0L in the Ranger. A 4.2L truck rotating assembly can be installed and there is support via V6 stang guys.

For the price tag associated with a 250hp vulcan engine you could have an entire drivetrain swap with a small block making 350hp (and have room to grow in the future).

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless you are operating in a class that requires the use of the factory 3.0L V6 (originality, size, ect...) its basically a waste of a lot of money for the end result. A front wheel drive 3.8L V6 shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 3.0L in the Ranger. A 4.2L truck rotating assembly can be installed and there is support via V6 stang guys.

For the price tag associated with a 250hp vulcan engine you could have an entire drivetrain swap with a small block making 350hp (and have room to grow in the future).
The RWD Essex family does not share the 3.0 bell housing pattern, only the FWD versions do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns#Vulcan_V6_pattern

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i guess im the sucker out of the group i love my 3.o no doubt its a rever to make any sort of power but looking to upgrade/ port the intake and swap rockers 1.7's from crane? the ones for the 3.8 right?
I thought Crane went out of business? The 3.8 rockers may work, but I'd almost guarantee they won't be bolt on. Be prepared to modify things, and check the valve to rocker geometry very carefully!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals