• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 has single miss after changing gears/sudden acceleration

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ive got a 93 Ranger 3.0 V6 5 speed 4x4 with 314,000 miles. After blowing a head gasket in the original engine at 302,000 miles, I found a 3.0 from a 2001 Ranger with only 60,000 miles for a steal of a price. I used the long block from the 01 and put my 93 ignition system on it since it uses a distributor and the 01 did not. The truck fired right up on the first try and Ive been driving for over a year now. It has developed a single miss after changing gears or a sudden acceleration like stomping the gas pedal. It only misses one time then continues to run like a top otherwise. It don't affect anything other than its annoying when driving knowing every time I shift gears its going to misfire a single time. All the ignition parts are new including the distributor. They were put on during the engine change (figured it was the perfect time to do so). Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
If you are getting a miss or bog when punching the gas or shifting it makes me think the engine computer is being a little flaky at advancing or retarding the timing then catching up. Are you still using your '93 engine computer?

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I'm still using the 93 computer. I forgot to mention in the original post that there hasn't been any check engine lights. I got one of those old OBD1 ford scanners, it didn't show any codes. The scanner had a test mode that would go through and shut off each injector while running, it also came back as normal. Since everything in the ignition system is new including the distrubutor and control module that mounts next to the radiator in the heat sink, I was leaning towards the computer.

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anybody else have an idea what it might be?

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update on the situation. I got a known good computer from a 94 3.0 ranger (automatic with EGR). The single misfire is still there after a gear change. It did show the check engine light so I scanned it and the only codes shown were automatic trans and EGR which my truck did not have from the factory.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Update on the situation. I got a known good computer from a 94 3.0 ranger (automatic with EGR). The single misfire is still there after a gear change. It did show the check engine light so I scanned it and the only codes shown were automatic trans and EGR which my truck did not have from the factory.
This is just an idea. I had an 06' Chevy Colorado and in between shifts it would accelerate the engine to where i could not shift. One time it happen so bad i had to pull over and I don't know why I hit the MAF sensor but it worked. come to find out the wires were broken inside the MAF sensor. Not saying the wires are broken but check the sensor. Again just a thought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals