• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD offroading

ThatCatPuma

Reaction score
I use to take my 2wd s-10 offroading on sand trails all the time. I never took it "mudding" but it was an amazing trail truck. Really the only modifications it had was a locker, 3" lift, good trail tires (cant remeber what I used) and the spare tire mounted on the tailgate for better weight distribution. It held its own against 4x4's especially the big ridiculous f-350's on 38's (were talking trail riding so small, light, and agile beats big lumbering dinosaur). I've always wanted to build my current ranger like my old s-10 but its my daily driver so it gets left alone for now.

Now if your talking about rock crawler or mudding... you're nuts.
More just a crappy-road truck. Some of the roads in the national forests get pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
More just a crappy-road truck. Some of the roads in the national forests get pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Feds do rate the roads, seen here: https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdf/05771205.pdf

You should be OK down to Level 3 for sure, Level 2 could be dicey and you may hit a spot where you would be better off turning around

Which brings me to one piece of advice, never go DOWN a hill that you don't think you could climb up, i.e. a steep grade and/or has loose material that prevents good traction.
Because if you have to turn around farther down the road.....................

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhh, a topic dear to my heart ! I cut my teeth offroading with 2wd p/u trucks before getting my first actual 4x4 in 1988 .

For historical context 4wd trucks didn't become widespread until late '80s - early '90s . Prior to this the norm for hunting, fishing, farmers, construction guys, etc was 2wd pickups ( obviously full size American trucks in that era ) with snow/ mud tires , and preferably posi .

Extreme rockcrawling and deep mud bogs are somthing else , but those are things people usually do on purpose . For most working or outdoor recreation decent ground clearence and good tires would handle up to medium rocky trails, and medium muddy . Certainly any USFS " road " , and many USFS " trails " . My '72 F-100 w/ 11-15 Power Cats on back could negotiate snow at least until it got deeper than the frame .

The biggest difference with 2wd off roading is knowing what you're doing . Reading terrian . Picking your line carefully . Making use of momentum .

4x4 lets you be inattentive, and lackadaisical, and have the extra drive wheels carry you through anyway . And in slippery conditions , 4x4 gives more steering control from conventional steering wheel use, where 2wd needs to understand momentum , and judicious use of gas and brakes to steer the truck .

Bottom line - A knowledgeable driver can go 98% of the places , as could a 4x4 of equal ground clearence .

For an off road 2wd , go one step gnarly'er for drive tires than you would for a similar 4x4 . An at least minimal self recovery like a come along is recomended for 4x4 , and would be even more prudent for 2wd .

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My '72 F-100 w/ 11-15 Power Cats on back could negotiate snow at least until it got deeper than the frame .
And I have found 4x4 to not be much help at that point. Once the snow is up around the frame the front diff is just plowing and building snow up in front that makes things worse.

I like to have my 4x4, but I don't use it.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
While not much difference in the ultimate threshold of getting thru vs impossible , the 4x4 let's you start & stop on hills, and make turns using steering wheel instead of by controled slides . ( But driving sideways is Fun ! )

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Limited slip, a set of BFG A/Ts and a winch youll be ready to rock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals