• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger BLACK WIDOW - First Review EVER!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
But are there enough other weird people that want that out there to justify the R&D?
It's wierd to want a 2wd truck for 2wd purposes?
no one asked them to stop making the Lightning they just did. a few years later they gave us the Raptor. They had to R&D that. They R&D what ever they want to and them blame R&D costs when they don't release a product. The technology is there, the research has been done, now just make it and sale it. It's no secret that 4wd is trendy and outfitting your truck to make it look more capable than it really is, is also trendy, so thats where these companies come in, but IF Saleen made a 2wd street Ranger, or Awd even, they would fly off the lots, then a tamer less expensive version for the rest of us who cant afford the Saleen. ( Just like all the 4wd options of trail control and mud/sand terrain management or whatever could be deleted and give it a mustang or Edge ST "like" tune. There researched and developed) :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's wierd to want a 2wd truck for 2wd purposes?
no one asked them to stop making the Lightning they just did. a few years later they gave us the Raptor. They had to R&D that. They R&D what ever they want to and them blame R&D costs when they don't release a product. The technology is there, the research has been done, now just make it and sale it. It's no secret that 4wd is trendy and outfitting your truck to make it look more capable than it really is, is also trendy, so thats where these companies come in, but IF Saleen made a 2wd street Ranger, or Awd even, they would fly off the lots, then a tamer less expensive version for the rest of us who cant afford the Saleen. ( Just like all the 4wd options of trail control and mud/sand terrain management or whatever could be deleted and give it a mustang or Edge ST "like" tune. There researched and developed) :yahoo:
I was giving you a hard time...

And my 4wd is more capable than it looks. Of course the looks set low expectations... :icon_thumby:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I was giving you a hard time...

And my 4wd is more capable than it looks. Of course the looks set low expectations... :icon_thumby:
oh. sorry i missed the sarcasm. i really wasn't ready to defend my 2wd preference again. but i see a lot of pavement pounding mallrats in their Z71s and F150s with those drop forged aluminum wheels and low profile off road tires and think "What a waste"

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
850... just so you know... I too wish they would do a sweet factory 2wd Sport truck. Make it fast... make it handle... make it stop on a dime. They have the technology... seems simple enough. Integrate some cool stuff into a truck platform and make this thing happen already.

But... they look at the data. The data (and not just their own data but data across all same type vehicles from all manufactures) says that these vehicles just don't sell enough to make money... at least to the level if they spent those same R&D dollars on a 4wd vehicle. It's just plain economics.

I spent most of my career with a different Brand that sports a bowtie... and I know for sure their data in that segment reflects failure in large proportions. Three vehicles come to mind... Cyclone... Typhoon and who could forget the one executives dream of building a factory Woodward Dream Cruiser that failed in EPIC proportions... the SSR.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't see what is hard about making a badass 2wd or awd street beast like the lightning. Essentially, it is less stuff that goes on the truck when you talk about suspension and body fab. If you already have an assembly line making raptors why not take a partially built raptor right before they put the lift and other pavement princess shit and just finish it with nice wheels, glossy black paint, and a loud exhaust. A fully loaded lightning has WAY less than a fully loaded raptor so how can it cost more money to build less? I seen a sweet mint looking lightning the other day and got the butterflies. After all these years they are still a really nice looking truck.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
i see it as supply and demand. the 4wd option is an upgrade, no doubt. so if they sale stuff for the upgrade market, they make more money. i get that, just saying that IF they supplied more 2wd street stuff, people would also but that. its a whole segment being ignored. so people buy trucks they can add stuff too. the 4wd market. its seems to be a cycle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals