• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger A/C questions. Help please.

johnsund

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just got a 2003 Ranger with the 2.3 liter engine and manual transmission. Knew it had a/c issues and wanted to try to fix myself. Have installed a new vacuum reservoir. The old one had no lines connected, so am unsure which line(s) go where. Both new and old reservoirs have 2 nipples for hose connection. On the old one there is a cap over one of the nipples. This implies that even if there was a line in place there would have been only one. So, several questions:

1. Should there be 2 lines to the reservoir, one in and one out?
2. Got the new one from the Ford dealer, and they requested the VIN, so I think I got the one that is a duplicate of the original. Somewhere I saw that the check valve was inside the reservoir. True for this setup?
3. If not inside the reservoir, can you please tell me where it is located? It is not visible to me. A picture of what it looks like would help.
4. Have looked everywhere for a Vacuum schematic but can't find one. Anyone have one for the 2003 Ranger 2.3 engine?

Thanks for your help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, Vacuum reservoir has 2 lines

One comes from the upper intake manifold on the engine, this is the Vacuum source, and it will have the Check Valve if there is not one on the reservoir
You can test if reservoir has a check valve by blowing into each port, if you can't blow into a port then it has a check valve on that port
If there is a Check valve port its line goes to Intake manifold

If you can blow into both ports then Check valve will be on the line that runs to the intake manifold, its just a small inline valve
Ford did it both ways even in the same year

Other port on reservoir goes to black plastic line that runs to the firewall on passenger side of engine bay
You will see TWO lines at the firewall, Black and Grey
Grey line runs from firewall to Heater Hose By-pass valve, its only used when MAX AC is selected in cab

Check the black line carefully it often cracks and leaks, easy to repair with rubber vacuum hose of correct size

All the above just has to do with the Vents in the cab, Defrost, Panel and Floor.
Defrost is the default vent, no vacuum = defrost only
Nothing to do with the fan, just the direction of the air coming from the fan

Temp control is done with an electric motor, not vacuum, its called the Blend Door actuator, common failing on Ford vehicles 1995 and newer

johnsund

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your reply. Helps a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals