• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 4.0 SOHC shaking and losing oil excessively

mudpaws

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
OK - I searched on here, found some related stuff but not exactly what I'm experiencing.

FIRST of all, this truck has almost NO exhaust left. What I mean is EVERYTHING behind downpipe is GONE. Downstream O2 sensor is just hanging there- I disconnected it from the rear cat pipe, which was hanging on by one bolt. I NOW have a CEL because of that, and did NOT have one before disconnecting the sensor.
I know I need to replace the system, but I'm not ready to spend the nearly 700 bucks in parts alone without solving the oil issue. Truck has 138000, so I know it's not much miles for these.

I changed the plugs and wires, and the ignition is working properly. It didn't even hesitate (with #2 O2 sensor still hooked up in that hanging on pipe). Fuel filter is also good.

The weird stuff is that it's running and shaking like a bad plug/injector and losing oil like mad. I changed the oil 12/11/2018 and I've had to add nearly 8 quarts since then. The whole rear and sides of the engine, as well as underneath is soaking wet with oil. When I fill to capacity on the dipstick, it blows a HUGE oil smoke cloud like bad piston rings. I feel like I'm in an old steam locomotive!

I know the engine is good, the rings and cylinder heads are good-so THAT is not the problem.

Once the oil goes a quart down or so, it no longer makes the huge cloud. It still is wet with oil though, and I see the oil smoke coming from underneath and around the engine from it blowing by and burning off the hot exhaust pipes.

I have a feeling that it's the PCV system/something clogged, causing the oil to puke out.

Any questions for me? What do you guys think?

RJ
Farmingville, NY
Black 2001 Ranger Edge Plus Super Cab
4.0, 4x4, ltd slip, off road gray interior, front hitch

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Are you sure the engine is good?

Id be hittin every plug hole with a compression tester before i went any further. That sounds like massive amounts of blowby.

mudpaws

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it was fine- zero symptom before this. No puffs of smoke even at startup.

Before I unscrewed the downstream O2, the thing didn't even have the CEL. It had less power, but still plenty for the choppy running condition.

I want to noid the injectors and clean up the whole top/bottom of engine. The PCV hose elbow isn't cracked that I can see.

I also plan to repair the oil pan, valve cover, and intake gaskets.

Thanks for the help so far. Any more questions definitely don't hesitate.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its interesting that the oil issue started right after the exhaust fell off.

IIRC the PCV valve is in the back of the LH valve cover, and the hose wraps around and connects to the RH side of the intake near the throttle body. You can easily inspect inside that hose for excess oil. I would also check for leaks around the backs of the valve covers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals