• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 5.0 Explorer Swap Into 98 Ranger 4.0

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yep, that's the kit that I'm using for the axle install. It's all welded up, I just need to finish cleaning off the housing and tubes, then give it a good coat of paint and swap it in. That was my next project before the engine swap bumped ahead of it in priority.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
My truck already has the 8.8 l/s 373 axle installed from the factory. The explorer I bought has the exact same gear ratio. I am going to ride my stock one till she goes. It has had a vibration at 40 for about 30k now. Other than that no clunks or clanks.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Other than removing the three bolts to let the axle center section hang down, what did you do to get access to the drivers side motor mount?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Once I got the three bolts out and the chunk dropped down. I used a 3/8 flex head ratchet with a shallow well 18mm socket to get it out. You only get very short turns. But it will take it off. Or if you have a flex head ratchet wrench will work also. I turned on email notifications so when someone post in here I can get right back to them.Sorry I forgot to do it earlier.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good Craig.. I have another picture request when you get time if you don't mind.. Can you show where you have the engine sitting at on the mounts(like front to back) and where the stock clutch fan sits in the shroud?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Here is the pics of the fan and shroud. This is the explorer radiator. It is raining and 35 out right now. I will try and get some of the mounts. They are not even really noticeable off factory location with the engine shifted over to the side a 1/8 inch. You can barely see the old nut ring where they were tightened down from the factory in the explorer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's perfect! Exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks Craig! Should not be ANY cooling issues this summer chilling with the Ac in.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Wow, I thought I was looking at my truck for a minute. That is exactly how my fan sits in the shroud. With maybe 3/4 of an inch or so of the blades sticking out. In the Decmber Florida temps right now it is running all day at 180 degrees with a 180 thermostat. In July it runs at 190-195 with the same 180 thermostat. Using the 190 degree thermostat in July it will run up to 204 sitting at a light. I quess it makes sense, about 10 degrees hotter.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I am in south Mississippi so I decided to go with a 180 thermostat. I have not had a chance to run in the summer heat down here. I suspect it will not be a problem. In October with the 80 degree temps i was running 179/181 on the scanner. Explorer radiator has a lot more cooling coupled with all the blades on the clutch fan. The shroud was also off the explorer since I stepped on my ranger one and broke it :). Also I did not run the trans cooler lines back to the radiator. I bought an aftermarket cooler and the trans line go in to the cooler and back to the transmission. So far the cooler has been warm at most. Plus the transmission is not pulling a lot of weight in the ranger either.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm definitely keeping the stock heads. The cam (CompCams 35-510-8 is relatively mild, and it's just not worth the money for my purposes to swap them out. Even that wouldn't have happened if Amazon hadn't screwed up the price from $285 down to $85. There's a small chance I might stare at the heads with a die grinder if I'm waiting on some other part from the shop, etc, but that's very unlikely.

Headers would be amazing, but they're definitely not in the budget. The Torque Monster's are the only game in town at the moment for a GT40P in a Ranger/Explorer torsion bar chassis, and they're over $900 with shipping. Maybe after I sell off the leftover parts from the Explorer, my current axle and drivetrain, etc...

Main and rod bearings and oil pump are being replaced, as well as the timing set and water pump. Heads will get new springs and seals, and a once over from the local machine shop in case there's anything I miss in a quick visual.

On the outside I'm doing new plugs, wires, tensioners, belt, hoses, and thermostat. Oxygen sensors, PCV, transmission filter (with JMOD), fuel filter, injector pintle caps/o-rings/filters, etc.

Also running the wires for an amp and installing a remote start while it's all apart. Really trying to knock as much as possble out while everything's accessible. There's still an Explorer rear axle to install, but that's mostly prepped and I may get it done in the middle of all this.

Almost forgot, I've also got a Contour fan and controller to install. That might also get pushed off to later.

Please let know if you install the contour fan. I have been thinking about going the same route to free up a little more hp. I would like to know how it fits and cools.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If I get a chance to play with the fan I'll definitely let you know. The only real holdup is deciding how to do the shroud.

The engine ended up heading to the shop for a full check of measurements and machining as needed. Saw a couple of points of concern on the bearings that warranted letting them look at it.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would rather be safe than sorry on the machining. Hopefully everything will turn out alright. Thanks brother.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well I have put 2000 miles on the 5.0 ranger and so far it is doing great other than a output shaft seal leak on the rear of the transfer case.
I am going to start working on grinding all the unnecessary parts of of the expo rear end and by the kit so it will be ready to install whenever I finish off the one that came with my ranger.

SumoPsycho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I’m glad all is going well with the 5.0, I can’t wait to get started on mine![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If you need any info or advice feel free to ask.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals