• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Auto correct idle RPM?

Kellogg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, need some help! I have looked through the 2.9 specs page and through the forums and couldn't find a definite answer. When i first got my truck, it took forever to warm up and had a really high idle (1500+) and would bang hard as hell when put into gear. Over the past year or so i have replaced one at time: map sensor, IAC sensor, coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, spark plugs, wires & cap, all EGR components, throttle position sensor, all vacuum lines, purge solenoid, and check resistance on ALL sensor wiring back to computer with no one component having a significant effect. What made the biggest difference was playing with the idle adjustment stop screw. I was able to bring idle down to 800 when fully warmed. it still can take almost 5-8 minutes for idle to come down and stay down especially when cold outside. Is that normal? and is 800 rpm normal? my idle adjustment screw is as far out as it can go without engine stalling when shifting into gear and every now and then it still shifts hard into reverse. Had my mechanic drive the truck around with me and he said he thinks 800 is still too high. I know the A4LD’s can be goofy as hell. Sorry for the long post.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Dont screw with that screw.

850 in neutral is normal for an automatic (manual is 650), and 5 minutes isnt to long for everything to kick into closed loop (warmed up) operation.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You have an air leak somewhere. You need to find it, fix it, and then reset the idle. By messing with the idle already you have made finding the leak that much harder.

The procedure for setting idle speed on a 2.9 is to warm it up fully, then shut it down. Unplug the SPOUT jumper and IAC, and replace the PCV valve with a "calibrated orifice" (the one for the 2.9 is about .020", so I just held my finger over the hose and left a little bit open) run it at 2000 RPM for 5 minutes, then return to idle and then use the screw to set the idle to the proper RPM.

But Rusty is right, when it hasn't already been touched by an idiot, don't touch the idle screw on an EFI engine. EVER.

Edited to add forgotten steps.

Last edited:

Kellogg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, point taken.

Forgot to mention that i recently replaced the PCV valve, grommet & hose, fuel presser regulator, and removed & cleaned upper and lower plenum/intakes, and give it new injectors. BUT by that point i had already messed with the idle screw from its original setting from when I got the truck. I will try resetting the idle and see what happens. Its possible I might have already fixed my air-leak....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The procedure for setting idle speed on a 2.9 is to warm it up fully, then shut it down. Unplug the SPOUT jumper, and replace the PCV valve with a "calibrated orifice" (the one for the 2.9 is about .020", so I just held my finger over the hose and left a little bit open) and then use the screw to set the idle to the proper RPM.
Im going to screenshot this. That way when i get around to fixing rusty 2.0 i can reset what i did screwing with that screw.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Im going to screenshot this. That way when i get around to fixing rusty 2.0 i can reset what i did screwing with that screw.
It's good information to have, especially when you are dumb.

Ask my why I know how to do that. Just ask.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, Why do you know how to do that?
And can you post the procedure for the old 4.0l if it's different?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It's good information to have, especially when you are dumb.

Ask my why I know how to do that. Just ask.
Pretty sure you know how to do it for the same reason i know how to fix alot of the dumb stuff i know how to fix.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
OK, Why do you know how to do that?
And can you post the procedure for the old 4.0l if it's different?
I touched the screw. Incidentally that is also why I feel justified in blatantly calling people who touch the screw idiots.

I don't know what the procedure for the 4.0 would be. I imagine it is similar, seeing as how they have a SPOUT jumper too. Probably a slightly bigger orifice, but we are already not being precise with that, using the calibrated thumb.

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
there is absolutely nothing wrong with adjusting the screw

if you have confirmed no vac leaks or air leaks then its best if you do adjust the throttle stop. Your best option for doing so is to get the vehicle up to warm operating temperature and unplug the spout connector, idle air control valve connector and throttle position sensor (if you have to open the stop otherwise it will set part throttle and dump in spark raising the rpms quite a bit). Adjust the throttle stop to get it to idle as low as it possibly will without dying. Plug everything back in. Let it idle for about 4-5 min or so and it should smooth on out and be fine.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
there is absolutely nothing wrong with adjusting the screw
Except for the part where the emissions label, the shop manual, and any other service literature and instructions you can find say not to.

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
The emissions label, shop mnual, and any other service literature is written with the intent that the end user is ignorant and doesn't know what they are doing hence the purpose in them reading to the literature to instruct them not to.

For those more knowledgeable that fully understands how everything is designed and functions its not the case.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
The procedure for setting idle speed on a 2.9 is to warm it up fully, then shut it down. Unplug the SPOUT jumper and IAC, and replace the PCV valve with a "calibrated orifice" (the one for the 2.9 is about .020", so I just held my finger over the hose and left a little bit open) run it at 2000 RPM for 5 minutes, then return to idle and then use the screw to set the idle to the proper RPM.
Is this "SPOUT" the same one you have to unplug to set the timing, or is this the one behind the air filter box by the diagnostic connector?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Is this "SPOUT" the same one you have to unplug to set the timing, or is this the one behind the air filter box by the diagnostic connector?
Yes. That SPOUT connector.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
You have an air leak somewhere. You need to find it, fix it, and then reset the idle. By messing with the idle already you have made finding the leak that much harder.

But Rusty is right, when it hasn't already been touched by an idiot, don't touch the idle screw on an EFI engine. EVER.

Edited to add forgotten steps.
There are times that I need you on speed dial.

Now I have sh*t to do to the truck in the morning. Because reasons. ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals