• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ranger collision repair

BWR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The collision I had with my Ranger was maybe not as minor as I had thought. I removed the bumper, grill and header panel and now see that the panel behind that, the one that the radiator is attached to and which bolts to the frame with rubber bushings, is bent. Radiator is not leaking and seems intact but it is canted back touching the fan. I assume that puppy is welded into the body. Is it possible to pull this back out somehow or am I screwed?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You are only limited by your imagination and ambition. Even if you post pictures, we may not be able to tell you exactly what you can or can not repair.

I will say, that I have straightened radiator core support on a 94 Honda Accord and a 96-ish Toyota pickup. Both with good success. And I am not a trained body repair guy. Sometimes necessity is our best teacher. Be patient with it. Applying the right pressure, tension or leverage in the right place and quantity is the key. Do a little. Stop and analyze your results. Do a little more. Analyze again. Rinse and repeat as needed. It's not brain surgery - just a little sheet metal bending.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A lot of it depends on if the frame is bent.

If it truely is just the core support that is bent, then it would likely be possible to pull it back into position. Would it be correct, probably not. Would it work, probably. The core support, and aprons, are all spot welded to the cab.

Now if the frame is bent also, then that is over most peoples heads. Unless the hit was entirely above the rails, then if it did that much damage to the core support, then my bet is that there is frame damage too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals